Pantech Breakout - Basic Voicemail
maggie2878

I just got a Breakout yesterday, and have tried multiple times to set up Basic Voicemail - I don't want to pay for the Visual Voicemail - the plain old type is just fine, thanks!  However, I have used the tutorials, done web searches and sent a customer service note - but have heard nothing (though it is a holiday weekend).  The online tutorials say to dial *86 and follow the prompts.  I do this, and it just sounds like anyone's voicemail box with a generic greeting - but I can't access any menu options.  After following the prompt from the tutorials of dialing "#" it just says that is an invalid option.  After the third time, it says "I am sorry you are having trouble.  Please call again later."  People calling my line hear that I haven't set up my account, and though it says they can leave a brief message, I am getting no notifications when they do leave me a message. 

Please help!  I want to disconnect my Sprint phone - I switched away from them because they were gauging me on price - but if people can't get a hold of me on my new line - what should I do?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Pantech Breakout - Basic Voicemail
maggie2878

Well...went to the Verizon store today since I have been unable to figure this out.  They worked on it for twenty minutes, and then when they struggled with it (and three different employees - one of whom was the manager - said that they had never seen anything like this) they called technical support.  They tried all the things that I had already tried, plus a few new ones.  They ended up getting the voicemail box working, but then the phone was no longer active.  Had to get a new sim card, and the phone is working again, but the voicemail is still down.  A "trouble ticket" has been filed, and they are going to work on it from their end.  What a pain - but the people at the store were so very friendly.  While there, others came in with random issues, and the manager mentioned that they have had a lot of technical issues over the past two days, and he hoped that this problem I was having would be taken care of when all of the updates are taken care of. 

Whew!

(at least my boyfriend's voicemail was fixed by all of this!)

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does your account (My Verizon) show that you have the basic voicemail feature turned on?  It should also be listed as a feature on your receipt from when you purchased the phone.  I do believe that you need to set it up with in thirty days of service or it will be automatically cancelled.

The last time  (April 2011) that I setup my basic Verizon voicemail all i had to do was press the "1" key on the dialer to get into the voicemail system.  If it wasn't setup it talked me through the steps to do so.

Are you planning on porting over your Sprint number?  If you port over the number you will have to setup the voicemail again.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
maggie2878

Thanks for your reply. No - I am not porting over my number from Sprint. I have had that number for so long, and I wanted a fresh start! Still get calls for my ex, and we have been divorced almost three years!

I checked the account on My Verizon, and yes - the basic voicemail feature is turned on. They disabled it and re-enabled it today at the store, as well. I have been trying to set it up since I purchased the phone on Friday - so far, no go. They have assured me that the situation will be rectified. When I dial "1" or "*86" to go to voicemail, it sounds just as it does if anyone was calling my phone - it says "Sorry, the number you have reached ###-###-#### is not available. The system is able to take a brief message which will be delivered when the mailbox is available" When "#" is pressed to skip this message, it says it is an invalid selection. If you press pound again, it just says "Sorry you are having trouble - please try again later" and hangs up. The guys at the store and in tech support were very frustrated, too.

I do appreciate your response, and will let you know what happens when it gets taken care of.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you pressing the "#" symbol while listening to the system message or after it?  I can't tell for sure from your description.

It sounds you have already read this, but here is the link for setting up a voicemail on the VZW network.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/faqs/Features%20and%20Optional%20Services/faq_voice_mail.html

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

This link might also help. I hope.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/landingpages/voicemail.jsp?market=All

0 Likes
maggie2878

Yep...I did a search, and both of those came up. I have checked them out, and they did both of those things at the store today too. I do appreciate your help, though. Any other ideas, and I am all ears!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am out of ideas at the moment.  About the only one rattling around is calling into Customer Support from a different phone and have them reset your voicemail on their end.  With the trouble ticket you have already, I would suspect that the store employees already tired that option.  I would definitely keep on top of that trouble ticket status.

In the meantime, perhaps for now, you will have to call back the numbers listed in your missed call log.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi Maggie! Since it's been a few days, I'm hoping your voicemail issue has been resolved. Have you hear any feedback from the trouble ticket yet? Are you able to receive voicemail? If you are still having issues, please send me a private message with your name and number so that I can review your account and the trouble ticket.

MarquiaF_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
maggie2878

I don't know how to send a private message, but I am still without working voicemail, and have heard nothing back. I have been unable to cancel my service through Sprint, as I need for people to be able to leave me messages. It is frustrating paying for two cell companies at once, when I should only need one!

Hopefully I will figure out the private message thing. At work now, so much of the capabilities of some sites are blocked (I am a teacher) .

0 Likes