Re: PLEASE Verizon stop this "Connected to WiFi" notification!
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Screenshot_20170329-061529.png

Funny that even the PIXEL has the option, it's not a Verizon issue.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I don't think its funny but I do think it is very odd that he can't turn the notification off

dhinged
Contributor - Level 1

@Demmo, the option that you think the Pixel has to disable this "Connected to WiFi" notification isn't there; which option exactly are you talking about and what exactly do you see it do (and please provide a screenshot)? There is no "Connected to WiFi" notification on the Pixel anyways EVER when it connects to WiFi, no matter which options you select in its WiFi options screen... it's only on a bunch of other Verizon phones. How do I know this isn't on the Pixels? I've been testing both of them (the non-Verizon versions from Google at home and the Verizon-modified ones in store) for the last couple of weeks!

The option to disable it is on the Galaxy S7 (I'll upload a screenshot when I get one), as I was told recently by the Verizon tech and that I've also seen in store (along with some other Verizon-modified phones I tried last year which I don't remember exactly now); why isn't it on ALL of Verizon's phones?!

By the way, I went to the Sprint store and tried out the HTC 10 there... guess what? NO "Connected to WiFi" notification no matter which options I selected!

Here's some screenshot evidence:

WiFi Advanced settings: IMAG0002.jpg - Google Drive

No notification after connection!  IMAG0003.jpg - Google Drive

And here's some video proof: VIDEO0001.mp4 - Google Drive

Now, this is the Nougat version (which also ran faster than Verizon's by the way which has been on Android 6 Marshmallow still 3 months after the Pixel arrived with Nougat), so maybe Verizon will keep Google's/HTC's DEFAULT config to NOT force this notification, but when I tested the HTC 10 Sprint on Marshmallow a while ago, I could not get the notification to pop-up no matter which settings were enabled, and the setting I noticed on the S7 to disable it was not there either!

This is COMPLETELY Verizon-customized notification and behavior (by request or coding), it would only benefit Verizon even if it were actually implemented sensibly (which it isn't as I pointed out), so there's NO reason it would be HTC's modification, there's still ZERO evidence that it is (at least without it being at Verizon's request)

[Removed]

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Wait a minute... I misunderstood a little, I thought you were talking about the pop up that tells you when an open WiFi connection was available, but you're making all this fuss about a notification?  You don't even see that unless you pull down the notification shade.  Have you long pressed the notification to see what the options are?  Maybe I'll dig out my old S6 and see how I disabled it on that... If I care enough, this has just elevated in it's ridiculousness.

0 Likes
dhinged
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, I'm making a fuss about a nonsense unstoppable persistent obnoxious notification, just like the "WiFi Networks Available" notification was like you thought you were replying about *ahem participating in the "fuss" about* which they fixed with Android Marshmallow after I and other users complained about it enough (which also forced itself on you with no way to disable), so this is yet just ANOTHER forced constant notification which we should be making a fuss about (also like the Location Found notification which you can't even swipe away on some phones a lot of the time and won't go away by themselves, like on the LG G6 and Samsung Galaxy S8).

And no, you don't just see it when you pull down the shade, it shows on the wake-up notification screen, and if you have "hide sensitive content" enabled, it shows as "Android System - Contents hidden", so that when you wake the screen it shows what looks like an important notification (or crowds out actually-important notifications), so unlocking it shows you this useless notification that your phone automatically connected to WiFi again which everybody already expects it to do by default.

HTC-10-Verizon-lockscreen-hidden-notifications-Connected-to-Wifi.png

I'd show you video of this phone and other Verizon-custom phones' behavior with this notification, which are inconsistent and also nonsensical...

*** ---> ​THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED <--- *** (it's disable-able on most phones I tried in the store, it needs to be on ALL phones, this is a bug, NOT a feature, and my only option is to root my phone which is a SECURITY RISK that I'm sure could cause Verizon A LOT OF MONEY)

I've been complaining about this issue for years, HTC has always said it's a Verizon customization, yet Verizon people (including yourself) either have not understood the issue, or made up excuses for why it's good for me (if I like wearing tinfoil hats apparently), or have explained it with nonsense reasons that don't make sense with the behavior.

So if you have a feasible solution, great, otherwise we need to badger Verizon to fix it because it's NOT PROFESSIONAL, and NOT USER-FRIENDLY.