PLEASE Verizon stop this "Connected to WiFi" notification!
dhinged
Contributor - Level 1

I've been seeing this for the last 3 phones I've had; it's this stupid notification that pops in the pull-down bar (notification shade) whenever my phone connects to WiFi, meaning when I come home, or whenever it determines it needs to reconnect (such as with WiFi optimization enabled or if it just loses connection for some reason).

This means I'm getting up to DOZENS of notifications per day telling me it reconnected when I already assume it's supposed to do that anyways.

Can we PLEASE get this disabled (or at least the option for it) for Nougat or the next update?!!?! There is NO option in WiFi/Advanced to disable this, I've already tried all of them. Verizon needs to disable this or let us disable it, as the Pixel and some other phones don't have this nor need it.

Also it shows on the lockscreen, obscuring other more important notifications (since it only shows the top 3), and if I have "hide sensitive content" enabled, it only shows as "Android system - content hidden"... how would you like to see a possibly-important notification, unlock the screen, then see it's just "Connected to [your WiFi]"??? AHHHHHHH!!!!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: PLEASE Verizon stop this "Connected to WiFi" notification!
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Verizon doesn't write the code, they may have requested the feature, but HTC is the one that had to put it in.  It's not on the PIXEL because that comes straight from Google, it may have been built by HTC, but Google handles all the code for it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I have the galaxy s7 edge and I can disable it in the wifi /advance it has a wifi notifications mine is off but it does tell me when it connects

0 Likes
dhinged
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, so I've heard; some phones have this option to disable, some don't. I don't know why Verizon discriminates on some, but I just talked with tech support and they finally got the issue after calling me and looking at my screen, and are reporting it to their developers or managers or whoever.

Hopefully the option will show up in my phone's Nougat update, and hopefully they won't remove it from the other phones, because it certainly isn't useful in reducing people's unnecessary cell data usage when they're near WiFi they normally connect to.

Case in point: The HTC 10 has some kind of WiFi auto-connect issue where it sometimes won't auto-connect when it's supposed to (haven't had that issue with other devices), so I have to manually go to the WiFi settings and tap the "Saved" connection (or disable and re-enable WiFi), but the "Connected to WiFi" would not have helped this bug anyways because it doesn't even appear until after WiFi is connected!

So, totally pointless to remove the option from settings, and hopefully Verizon wants to treat their customers with the same level of intelligence they already do with some phones.

demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

This isn't a Verizon issue, it's something the manufacturer decides whether or not to include.

dhinged
Contributor - Level 1

"This isn't a Verizon issue, it's something the manufacturer decides whether or not to include."

I was told by Verizon tech support that the notification is to help users minimize cell data usage (which it doesn't do as I already explained), so please explain why the manufacturer cares about forcing the user to be notified every time their phone connects to WiFi.

Also, the non-Verizon HTC 10 doesn't have this problem, so please show me how you think it's a manufacturer decision, or any proof that it was.

demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Because Verizon doesn't write the firmware.

0 Likes
dhinged
Contributor - Level 1

demmo, this isn't the firmware, this is an Android OS config file modification that Verizon made on the HTC 10 software from the manufacturer. HTC did not set this config, Verizon did.

There is not one non-Verizon HTC 10 phone that has this issue, and I'd like to see proof of your claim. Calling this "firmware" is misunderstanding the difference between firmware and modified Android OS software.

I keep seeing this deflective answer from certain Verizon sources, and I'm wondering now why; the option to disable this notification is available on maybe half of the Verizon phones, so it needs to be consistent on the HTC 10 Nougat update. The Pixel does not have this issue, even on Verizon's version, and both versions are made by HTC.

Please someone else who can actually address this issue and not just deflect with inaccurate excuses leave a useful reply; I will prove to you it's not a change made by the manufacturer if you keep misidentifying the issue as the manufacturer. As I said before, this issue is not present on non-Verizon HTC 10 phones, and I don't know why you keep refuting this with ZERO EVIDENCE.

dhinged
Contributor - Level 1

Here's some further evidence below that HTC is not the one forcing this obnoxious pointless notification on my phone up to dozens of times per day. Every search result I find on this ends up pointing to it only being for Verizon users:

How do I stop this notification every time I'm at home on my WiFi network. : htcone

Wi-Fi Notification : HTC10

https://www.reddit.com/r/HTC10/comments/4mfw1c/wifi_notification/

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-10/700790-wifi-notifications.html

It was also happening on previous Verizon-only phone versions:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/287987-disable-connected-wi-fi-network-network-nam...

And here's someone saying HTC told them Verizon is the one forcing the notification!

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-htc-one/310097-htc-says-verizon-who-insisting-upon-wifi-net...

There's more examples, but I have yet to see any evidence that the problem exists on non-Verizon HTC 10 phones. In fact I'll be visiting the Sprint store again to see if this notification exists and has an option to disable it (since last time I only tested performance, and guess what, the non-Verizon version ran fast and this one is janky!). I really hope Verizon cleans up their crappy inefficient obnoxious code with Nougat, Google is really showing them up with their fast out-of-your-way phones.

demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Verizon doesn't write the code, they may have requested the feature, but HTC is the one that had to put it in.  It's not on the PIXEL because that comes straight from Google, it may have been built by HTC, but Google handles all the code for it.

0 Likes
dhinged
Contributor - Level 1

If Verizon requests HTC to make the change, it doesn't matter who wrote the code, the change is because of Verizon, hence why I'm here. Verizon needs to fix this issue, because they're telling HTC they won't carry the phone unless they implement their customizations.

It's disingenuous for you or any other Verizon support person to keep saying "it's the manufacturer's change" because you're ignoring the fact that the carrier wanted the change implemented at threat of not carrying the phone. It's a Verizon issue, period, and they need to fix it by allowing the option to disable this obnoxious pointless notification on ALL of their phones, not just some of them.

I've shown you a ton of evidence that this issue is only on Verizon phones, you've provided none that it's not a Verizon-caused issue.

I'm going to Sprint today to see if their HTC 10 has this same issue, or if it has the option to disable in WiFi Advanced. If you want to keep insisting it's a "manfucturer change", I think it's clear now with your admission that it "may" be Verizon-requested that your argument is deflecting, dishonest, and not helpful in the slightest.