Options after new phone stolen (had for two weeks), and refurb doesn't work?
Nisafish
Enthusiast - Level 1

Back in November, I ran into some bad luck with Best Buy phone insurance, and wasn't due for an upgrade with Verizon until March.  Long story short, I went into a Verizon store on Black Friday weekend to see what my options were, and walked away with a brand new Droid Maxx for only $40.  It counted as my new upgrade, and I was thrilled.

Not two weeks after purchasing the new phone, it was stolen from me.  I contacted the Asurion insurance company and shelled out $150 to have another phone overnighted to me.  Much to my surprise, they sent me a refurbished Maxx with a small crack in one corner - clearly a great deal older than my two week old stolen phone.  I decided to give the phone a chance, since I didn't have enough money for other options.

Now, nearly three months later, this refurb is not working out at all.  The crack has grown, I can't do any hands free or voice activating calling/navigation, the speakers cut out periodically, and most of the time I can't hear out of them to the point where I have to use speaker phone, and then the people I'm speaking with can't hear me.  To top it off, the usually fantastic and long battery life I enjoyed on the original phone are NOT present on the refurb.  It lasts half as long, when it does bother at all to charge.

I work for a hospital and need to be on call nearly every day, and the needless quirks on this phone are making it very difficult to do so.

I am at my wits end, and would like to know what my options are.  I did not pay almost $200 to insurance to have a subpar refurb for the next two years, and I cannot afford to pay $150 to Asurion for another refurb.  If my money goes anywhere, I would like it to go to something that will last me the next two years. I realize that I am very lucky to even have a nice phone, but it is not meeting my needs and is risking my day job when the hospital can't get ahold of me readily.

What are my options?  I am on  family plan.  Should I pull my number off the plan for my own?  Try to qualify for Verizon Edge?  Or take my number to another provider that will give me a new contract and a new phone?  Thank you for your help in advance!

Labels (1)
Re: Options after new phone stolen (had for two weeks), and refurb doesn't work?
Snn5
Legend

You should have arranged return of the damaged replacement to begin with right then.  Too late for that though. At this point, you can buy a used phone on Swappa.com or elsewhere that is compatible to Verizon or buy full retail.  I don't they will let you Early Edge right now being so close to having just upgraded.

0 Likes