Only first part of music ringtone plays, then restarts from the beginning
jeff43772-9687

I have a Droid Maxx 2 from Motorola.  I have been attempting to use a music ringtone for all incoming calls.  The file I have been using is an mp3 file of a song, about 30 seconds long.  No matter what I try, whenever I receive an incoming call, only about the first 5 seconds of the song plays, then it keep restarting from the beginning.  It continues to keep going back to the beginning of the clip a few times until the call finally goes to voicemail.  I have tried clearing the cache, resetting all app preferences, clearing all app data, doing a soft reboot, doing a hard reboot, and even booted in safe mode.  The problem still remains.  At the advice of an agent from Verizon, I contacted Motorola (Lenovo) on their community forums, and they were unable to help.  I first used the Ringdroid app (which I downloaded from the Google Play Store) to trim the original (longer) file to about 30 seconds, then set it as a ringtone.  I also tried some other ringtone maker apps.  Finally, I even tried just transferring the file by USB from my PC to the Ringtones folder of the phone.  Strangely, when I tap on the file name in the Ringtones list on the phone (under settings), the entire clip will play.  The problem is when incoming calls are received.  Hopefully, someone will be able to help.  Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Only first part of music ringtone plays, then restarts from the beginning
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Most of the phones will only play a 30 second Ring Tone and if you use a full MP3, it will cut off and use only the first 30 seconds of it.  Some notifications will play 5-10 and alarms will usually play the entire song.  I know Motorola phones are limited to 30 seconds.  If you download any of the apps to make ringtones they will also usually limit you to making a 30 second clip.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

There could be a problem with the file itself. Do you have the whole song on your phone? Try setting the entire song as the ringtone. It will only play the first 30 seconds.

0 Likes
jeff43772-9687

Hello, I have the entire song (mp3 file) on the computer (about 9 minutes long).  I transferred the entire file without trimming it to the phone's ringtone folder using USB.  I then set the entire song to be the ringtone.  When an incoming call is received, it still only plays about the first 5 seconds or so, then it keeps going back to the beginning.  The file is not corrupt or anything.  In fact, when I tap on the file name in the ringtone list on the phone, the entire song plays (not just the first 30 seconds).  The problem seems to be with the incoming ring signal.  I have tried going outside where I have a good cell signal, but I still have the problem.  It also does it on other ringtones as well (only playing about 5 seconds and restarting).  Do you have any idea what could be wrong?  Thank you.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Most of the phones will only play a 30 second Ring Tone and if you use a full MP3, it will cut off and use only the first 30 seconds of it.  Some notifications will play 5-10 and alarms will usually play the entire song.  I know Motorola phones are limited to 30 seconds.  If you download any of the apps to make ringtones they will also usually limit you to making a 30 second clip.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Try setting it as the ringtone from the music app. You can long press on the song and it should give you the option to set it as a ringtone.

0 Likes
jeff43772-9687

Hello, I did what you suggested (placing the entire file in the music folder, then using my music app to set it as a ringtone).  It will still only play about 5 seconds for an incoming call, then keeps starting over.  I also set it as the ringtone for other things like text messaging, and the whole 30 seconds will play.  Again, it seems that there is something going on with the incoming signal for phone calls that keeps restarting the ringtone.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I would suggest to try to clear out the cache and data in the application manager for the phone application. See if that helps.

0 Likes
jeff43772-9687

I went in to the app manager and cleared the cache and memory of the phone app, but the ringtone is still only playing about 5 seconds before it keeps going back to the beginning.  In the past, I have tried a soft reboot, a hard reboot, even using safe mode, and nothing helps.  I hope I don't have to do a factory reset, especially since that may not work anyway.  Again, the file is good, and the entire song will play when I tap on the file name in the ringtone list.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Have you tried a different full length song? Does the same thing happen? have you tried trimming the song down to 30 sec?

0 Likes
jeff43772-9687

I just tried a different full-length song and set it as the ringtone.  Once again, only about the first 5 seconds of it will play for an incoming call, then it keeps restarting.  The entire song will play when I tap on the file name in the ringtone list.  Also, about 30 seconds of it will play when I use it as the notification tone for a text message.

0 Likes