Re: Oneplus One Compatability?
Not applicable

GalaxyClass wrote:

CDMA & GSM should have gone with iDEN and Nextel.

They will in time. You need to know according the Verizon's latest quarterly report that came out just last week at the end of Sept 2014 Verizon still had 20 million basic phones and 17 million 3G smartphones still out there. So roughly 37 million of out 86 million phones or 43% on it's network still use CDMA. In Q2 it was 22 million basic phones and 20 million 3G smartphones. So as you can see it will be awhile before Verizon can just kiss off CDMA

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Sad but true and that's the problem with a big muscle bound business...slow to change.  Smiley Sad

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You'd expect them to alienate 43% of their customers?  Look how well that worked out for Sprint switching from Wimax to LTE.  They alienated all their Wimax adopters and that's why they were hemorrhaging customers.  That doesn't include their poor coverage in a lot of areas.

Not applicable

What are the supposed to do tell 37 million people sorry you need anew phone? You though the FCC gave Verizon a hard time over throttling a much smaller amount of unlimited data users. Also what basic phones are LTE capable let alone VoLTE? And not just Verizon but ANYWHERE? Even if Verizon has the capable devices today and they stopped offering non LTE devices you'd still need a 2 year lead time for these people that upgraded to a non LTE devices right before the cut off. VoLTE is still a work in progress anyway. Verizon is doing just fine converting people to LTE devices. 3.1 million Verizon customers bought iPhone 4 in Q4 2012 they are due for upgrades now. So this should shrink that number greatly. I suspect a plurality if not an outright majority of those 3G smartphones still in use are iPhone 4. They just now stopped selling the dang thing on their website within the last couple of weeks.

the basic phone conversion is the one that will take awhile. Some people just don't want to sue a smartphone or pay the extra cost involved in having one. How Verizon is going to manage this or if someone comes out with LTE basic phones I'm not sure.

Heck I would love for Verizon to shut down 1x and 3G and convert that spectrum to LTE sooner than later but I'm realistic. They made the 2020 statement in 2012 so maybe if the conversion to LTE devices is going faster than they anticipate they'll do it sooner.

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

No I agree they won't and can't as you say, but the industry, FCC etc. as a whole has not been working together to really bring this business where it should be now. Yes Sprint is wandering in the wilderness for their mistakes and the customers suffer and their new CEO is giving away the store. Same thing with T mobile. Your right it is not going to happen overnight even though the tech is there now and that hurts all of us at the end of the day. No joke I would like to see a few of the people on this discussion like yourself sitting on cellular co. boards and as CEO's. I belive change would come a bit faster perhaps, at the very least we would have people that know what the customers really want and need. thanks for the reply Tidbits. 

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

mrhelper, you would also be a canidate for a CEO. congrats!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I'd be a terrible CEO honestly. If it was me I'd say tough to the non tech savvy people. That would affect the bottom line and that's what investors care about.

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

I know, you want them to cut their teeth the way we did...the hard way! lol

Tidbits
Legend

There are tech I want out right now but people keep sticking with the old and keep paying for the old. USB 3.1 for example. People are still buying 2.0 instead of waiting it out for manufacturers to be forced to retire the standard.

0 Likes
Not applicable

GalaxyClass wrote:

mrhelper, you would also be a canidate for a CEO. congrats!

Shareholders would hate me. While I would dump unlimited data I would up the current caps. I also would start expanding FiOS again. And a few other things.

0 Likes