Re: Ok, let's think down the road a bit...
WraithTDK

Tidbits wrote:
That's on Samsung. They were the ones to claim they'll support their products and made restrictions on their accessories when they didn't have to. Knock the doors down at Samsung.

Incorrect. FIrst of all, they made an update for it. Verizon is holding it back. That's why XDA has it. Search the forums, this has been discussed many times.

As for the accessories, the restrictions aren't in the accesories, it's in the OS. The issue is that the docks have an audio jack in the back that allows you to plug speakers (or a car's aux adapter) into it, thus allowing you to simply slide the phone into the docks and have the audio automatically go through the micro usb port and into the speakers. 

The problem is that he ability to chanel the audio through micro usb instead of the audio jack is exclusive to Android 2.2 and above, which is why, when you buy the docks, the boxes advertise these features, and then there's a sticker over the audio jack that says "requires Android 2.2 update."

Seems prettly clear that their intention was to have the phone updated soon afterwards, which would fit with most of the reports around here and XDA that it is Verizon, not Samsung, who are blocking the update.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

WraithTDK wrote:

Tidbits wrote:
That's on Samsung. They were the ones to claim they'll support their products and made restrictions on their accessories when they didn't have to. Knock the doors down at Samsung.

Incorrect. FIrst of all, they made an update for it. Verizon is holding it back. That's why XDA has it. Search the forums, this has been discussed many times.

As for the accessories, the restrictions aren't in the accesories, it's in the OS. The issue is that the docks have an audio jack in the back that allows you to plug speakers (or a car's aux adapter) into it, thus allowing you to simply slide the phone into the docks and have the audio automatically go through the micro usb port and into the speakers. 

The problem is that he ability to chanel the audio through micro usb instead of the audio jack is exclusive to Android 2.2 and above, which is why, when you buy the docks, the boxes advertise these features, and then there's a sticker over the audio jack that says "requires Android 2.2 update."

Seems prettly clear that their intention was to have the phone updated soon afterwards, which would fit with most of the reports around here and XDA that it is Verizon, not Samsung, who are blocking the update.

Much like Motorola, and HTC allowing that type of settings by using their own bluetooth stacks on open source software?  Quit kidding yourself when it "requires 2.2" for that stuff to work.  Samsung chose to wait for someone to do it for them while other manufacturers did it themselves, or didn't make accessories that didn't require more than what they were willing to code for.
I did look at XDA...  There are MULTIPLE versions of 2.2 which means Samsung is still working on it.  EC03, and EC07 which were leaked.  Wouldn't surprise me if there are more you don't see or haven't been leaked.  The Vibrant had 13 leaked versions before their final build which people complained about that never felt like it was completed.
0 Likes
WraithTDK

Tidbits wrote:

WraithTDK wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

Much like Motorola, and HTC allowing that type of settings by using their own bluetooth stacks on open source software?  Quit kidding yourself when it "requires 2.2" for that stuff to work.  Samsung chose to wait for someone to do it for them while other manufacturers did it themselves, or didn't make accessories that didn't require more than what they were willing to code for.
I did look at XDA...  There are MULTIPLE versions of 2.2 which means Samsung is still working on it.  EC03, and EC07 which were leaked.  Wouldn't surprise me if there are more you don't see or haven't been leaked.  The Vibrant had 13 leaked versions before their final build which people complained about that never felt like it was completed.

No, Motorola and HTC did not have that functionality in Android 2.1, either. It's a function of the OS. Search the Android market place for apps that control where the audio goes through. There are a lot of them. Do you know what they all have in common? They all require Android 2.2.  Samsung completed the patch. Verizon is holding it back. Do a little research. It's not hard to vet this stuff.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

WraithTDK wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

No, Motorola and HTC did not have that functionality in Android 2.1, either. It's a function of the OS. Search the Android market place for apps that control where the audio goes through. There are a lot of them. Do you know what they all have in common? They all require Android 2.2.  Samsung completed the patch. Verizon is holding it back. Do a little research. It's not hard to vet this stuff.

This makes perfect sense. Verizon releases the Samsung Fascinate 2.2 upgrade but holds back the Samsung Continuum 2.2 upgrade. Verizon obviously likes the Samsung Fascinate users better., but not as much as the Motorola and HTC users.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i didn't make make comment to begin a blame game. the point was that the OVERALL issue is the biggest flaw with android. blame verizon, samsung, htc, motorola.....or even google if you'd like. my point was that having devices that are still being sold and running everything from 2.1 to 4.0 (or whatever the nexus will be) is a problem in my opinion.

0 Likes
WraithTDK

WraithTDK wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

WraithTDK wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

The prevaling theory seems to be that Verizon would have to update some of the bloatware that they force on you with the Continuum, that you cannot uninstall.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
If you believe that. It's open source and they could add their own Bluetooth stacks which Motorola and HTC has done before on select devices. You say they don't have them but I bet you never owned every device and you are generalizing.
0 Likes
WraithTDK

Tidbits wrote:
If you believe that. It's open source and they could add their own Bluetooth stacks which Motorola and HTC has done before on select devices. You say they don't have them but I bet you never owned every device and you are generalizing.

Dude, you're not getting it. It's got nothing to do with the Bluetooth stacks. Seriously, search the marketplace. Go ahead, do it yourself. Try to find me just one single app that will direct sound through micro usb that is compatible with Android 2.1. Just one. Go ahead.

You can't. Because that functionality was not available untill Froyo. Simple as that. This really isn't as complicated as you're making it.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
... You still don't get out... I'll leave it alone. My Motorola phone which is still at 2.1 had the ability from Motorola. If you paid any attention the OS is open-source. Anyone CAN modify the code to make it work. Like Motorola and HTC did with their higher end devices at one point before Google put in the code. It requires source level coding not an app to get it to work correctly...
0 Likes
WraithTDK

Tidbits wrote:
... You still don't get out... I'll leave it alone. My Motorola phone which is still at 2.1 had the ability from Motorola. If you paid any attention the OS is open-source. Anyone CAN modify the code to make it work. Like Motorola and HTC did with their higher end devices at one point before Google put in the code. It requires source level coding not an app to get it to work correctly...

What Motorola phone are your using with 2.1 that lets you direct the audio through the micro usb? Because your signature mentions a D2G, which shipped with 2.2 and was later upgraded to 2.3, and a D3, which shipped with 2.3...

0 Likes