Re: Ok, let's think down the road a bit...
WraithTDK

ICS? As in Android 2.4?

Man, I'd be happ just get the 2.2 update for my Galaxy S Continuum, without which the desktop and car docks that they also sold me do not work properly.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

WraithTDK wrote:

ICS? As in Android 2.4?

Man, I'd be happ just get the 2.2 update for my Galaxy S Continuum, without which the desktop and car docks that they also sold me do not work properly.

ICS=Ice Cream Sandwich =Android 4.x

Android 2.4=Gingerbread

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

21stNow wrote:

WraithTDK wrote:

ICS? As in Android 2.4?

Android 2.4=Gingerbread

2.3.X = Gingerbread 😛

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Thanks for the catch Tidbits.

0 Likes
WraithTDK

21stNow wrote:

WraithTDK wrote:

ICS? As in Android 2.4?

Android 2.4=Gingerbread

One good correction deserves another. Though technically that wasn't a good correction, as it's inacurate.

Android 2.1 = Eclair. It's what the Galaxy S Continuum (and most of the first wave of Galaxy S phones) were released with. But we were promised that very soon we would be upgraded to...

Android 2.2 = Froyo. It's what (to the best of my knowledge) all of those Galaxy S phones were upgraded to, and what the Samsung Galaxy S Continuum Desktop and Car docks, which Verizon sold at $40.00 a pop, require to function properly.

Android 3.0 = Honeycomb. While it seems out of order, honeycomb was the first version of Android to be created specifically for Tablets, and was released between 2.2/Froyo and...

Android 2.3 (not 2.4) = Gingerbread. Released shortly after Honeycomb. While not specifically designed for tablets like Honeycomb was, a lot of tablets still seem to run on it.

Android 2.4 (as I said)/4.0 - ICS/Ice Cream Sandwhich. Similar to the way Microsoft consolidated Windows NT and Windows 9X into Windows XP (thus beginning the Home/Pro/etc. versions), ICS is the next version for both phones (2.4) and tablets (4.0).

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

WraithTDK wrote:

21stNow wrote:

WraithTDK wrote:

ICS? As in Android 2.4?

Android 2.4=Gingerbread

One good correction deserves another. Though technically that wasn't a good correction, as it's inacurate.

Android 2.1 = Eclair. It's what the Galaxy S Continuum (and most of the first wave of Galaxy S phones) were released with. But we were promised that very soon we would be upgraded to...

Android 2.2 = Froyo. It's what (to the best of my knowledge) all of those Galaxy S phones were upgraded to, and what the Samsung Galaxy S Continuum Desktop and Car docks, which Verizon sold at $40.00 a pop, require to function properly.

Android 3.0 = Honeycomb. While it seems out of order, honeycomb was the first version of Android to be created specifically for Tablets, and was released between 2.2/Froyo and...

Android 2.3 (not 2.4) = Gingerbread. Released shortly after Honeycomb. While not specifically designed for tablets like Honeycomb was, a lot of tablets still seem to run on it.

Android 2.4 (as I said)/4.0 - ICS/Ice Cream Sandwhich. Similar to the way Microsoft consolidated Windows NT and Windows 9X into Windows XP (thus beginning the Home/Pro/etc. versions), ICS is the next version for both phones (2.4) and tablets (4.0).

this really is a flaw of android. i'm a big fan of the OS, but isn't it time something is done about this? the continuum is still stuck on 2.2. the citrus is still stuck on TWO.ONE.....yes 2.1!!!!! i know it's a bit older and cheaper, but it's not THAT old. when you have devices that will be 3 major OS updates behind, then you have a problem, in my opinion. i criticize people for whining and complaining on here about release dates, updates, etc.......but to buy a device and NEVER get an OS update really is wrong to me.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

WraithTDK wrote:
ICS is the next version for both phones (2.4) and tablets (4.0).

There is no 2.4.  The ICS on handsets will be versioned the same 4.x as the tablets.

AZSALUKI wrote:

this really is a flaw of android. i'm a big fan of the OS, but isn't it time something is done about this? the continuum is still stuck on 2.2. the citrus is still stuck on TWO.ONE.....yes 2.1!!!!!

Believe the Continuum is still stuck on 2.1 also. 

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

The poster above me is right, ICS for phones is 4.x, as well.  My Nexus is running 4.0.1 now.

Also, Honeycomb came out after Gingerbread.  I had Gingerbread on my Nexus S in December 2010.  The Motorola XOOM was the first Honeycomb tablet, which was released February 2011.  All devices were unrooted/unmodified at the time.

No wonder the average customer doesn't care about this stuff!  It even throws those of us that do care for a loop from time to time. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
WraithTDK

AZSALUKI wrote:

this really is a flaw of android. i'm a big fan of the OS, but isn't it time something is done about this? the continuum is still stuck on 2.2. the citrus is still stuck on TWO.ONE.....yes 2.1!!!!! i know it's a bit older and cheaper, but it's not THAT old. when you have devices that will be 3 major OS updates behind, then you have a problem, in my opinion. i criticize people for whining and complaining on here about release dates, updates, etc.......but to buy a device and NEVER get an OS update really is wrong to me.

No no no, see, this is the problem: the continuum is not on 2.2. It's Supposed to be. They promised us it would be when they sold it to us, and when they sold us accessories that require 2.2. But it's still stuck on 2.1. And this is a Galaxy S phone! A Galaxy S phone that is still being sold!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
That's on Samsung. They were the ones to claim they'll support their products and made restrictions on their accessories when they didn't have to. Knock the doors down at Samsung.
0 Likes