Re: Official Samsung Pay Thread
ejm8797
Enthusiast - Level 2

Any word on when Verizon will update the phones so we can use Samsung Pay? It's great that they announced that they will support it in a "future" update, without future being defined.. Is Verizon running for office?

nursebrent
Enthusiast - Level 2

Spoke with a representative today and he read me the standard blurb.... Available in future.... He pointed the finger at Samsung stating Samsug Is holding up the software update? Finger pointing 101....

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

I Keep checking with my brother in law.   He is using an unlocked international Samsung S6 on ATT.  While he has the 5.1.1 update, he doesn't yet have Samsung Pay.   I checked the Samsung website and while it says the S6 and S6 Edge will get it, it isn't ready yet.

THat tells me there are bugs in the software.

Carriers don't like bugs.

I Still post on ATT regularly, they have a Samsung thread.  The buzz on Samsung pay is non existent, I will see what happens if I stir the pot....

marc10406
Enthusiast - Level 3

The problem is Samsung says it is up to Verizon and Verizon says it is up to Samsung to get the update out.  It should be noted that Samsung DID include it on the Verizon version of the phones but Verizon decided to remove it as it was a "Pre-Loaded" app.

Given Verizon's track record as it comes to updates (with a very few exceptions) that update will take at least two months to get out the door.  So don't expect anything prior to Christmas 2016 (not a misprint).

fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

I'm sure I will use it as much as I use Google wallet now but at the places that are more convenient.  I have a friend who has it on Sprint he says it works pretty well. Just not on inserted slots.  Though, a lot of those have NFC soooooooo.  Yeah, it won't replace my wallet but will be more useful than a pure NFC solution.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

6S and 6S Edge are older. Since they say it is coming that means it has the hardware. They will be programming it retroactively.  It wasn't ready when they were released so they have to build it now.   Note 5 and 6SEdge+ were released with a  beta build that could be activated.  It was developed with the phone and software.  Everything I have seen and heard is it works well on the right terminals.

International version may not get it for a while if ever.  It isn't exactly the same phone as the AT&T version so it may not get an update pushed from AT&T.

mama23dogs
Legend

The international version gets updates straight from Samsung.   It will get Samsung pay before ATT S6.  Yes, they are older phones and Samsungs own site says they will not yet get samsung pay.

fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Oh straight from Samsung.  That is nice. 

mama23dogs
Legend

IT doesn't change much.

SAmsung doesn't provide release dates either.

fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Well no, and I kind of understand that.  I work on a software development team and giving dates to the public can be problematic.  However, coming straight from Samsung means they don't have to go through the extra QA and regression testing required by the carriers.

I check a few times a day to see if there is a download ready.  I doubt it will speed things up much but I want to get started as soon as I can playing with it to see it in action. 

0 Likes