OS upgrade this week correct?
The_Aussie

So seeing as this is the last week in the first quarter, that would have to mean i should get my ERIS upgrade to android 2.1 correct? I was promised by the sales guys this was happening in January, that is why i brought the phone. Now i see published comments on the web about it happening in the first quarter of this year. I also see that the unofficial version is available now for almost 3 weeks. So surely Verizon is about to send out the OTA official correct?

or is this just more smoke and mirrors on the part of Verizon????? (in case you haven't noticed Mr Verizon, people are getting tired of the smoke and mirrors)

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: OS upgrade this week correct?
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

Wow, I was just saying to myself that there weren't enough threads discussing this.

0 Likes
The_Aussie

Yes i see plenty of threads on the MOTO DROID getting its upgrade and the stall and the promise and the non promise and so on and so on, but it seems one of these devices either the ERIS or MOTO DROID gets lost in the weeds...a couple of weeks ago it was all the MOTO DROID people getting all bent out of shape because they thought that they were higher and mighter than those with an ERIS and how dare anyone even propose that the ERIS get the upgrade first. now it seems the coin has flipped and we have plenty of noise about the MOTO DROID getting the upgrade but again nothing about the ERIS.

I dont care MOTO or ERIS, or TIN CAN for that matter, im tired of the smoke and mirrors and deception on the part of sales people and managers of the Verizon stores.

simple answers please, is it coming or not, if the answer is yes then give us a date and stick to it, have some integrity in the way you treat your customers.

0 Likes
SoCal64
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree that getting information out of Verizon is a challenge to say the least.  Any question asked about 2.1 they act like it is a matter of National Security or something.

They don't want to be cornered into a "when it will happen" but it wouldn't hurt them to share more information.  People wouldn't have to be left guessing and bug the tech support people with 2.1 questions if they volunteered info. 

I'm hoping for 2.1 soon as well.  If they pull a bait and switch and decide not to provide 2.1 to Droid and Eris then get the root ROM.   I'm holding off until the official OTA release but the rooted ROM would still be an option...so it's win win.

0 Likes
frayed
Enthusiast - Level 3

SoCal64 wrote:

I agree that getting information out of Verizon is a challenge to say the least.  Any question asked about 2.1 they act like it is a matter of National Security or something.

They don't want to be cornered into a "when it will happen" but it wouldn't hurt them to share more information.  People wouldn't have to be left guessing and bug the tech support people with 2.1 questions if they volunteered info. 

I'm hoping for 2.1 soon as well.  If they pull a bait and switch and decide not to provide 2.1 to Droid and Eris then get the root ROM.   I'm holding off until the official OTA release but the rooted ROM would still be an option...so it's win win.

Don't do the Rom you will most likely brick your phone and be left with a paper weight

To summarize in Shakespearean form:

Verizon/Moto: Art thou hungry?
Droid Owners: Starving!
Verizon/Moto: We hath brought edible delights to quench thy deepest hungers!
Droid Owners: Thank you!
Verizon/Moto: Just kidding
Droid Owners: ?
Verizon/Moto: Go away

Excuse me but I’m trying to distract myself from depressing reality of the situation.

0 Likes
drdave

Just talked to HTC...the official line now is that OS 2.1 is coming SECOND Quarter of this year.  Maybe Verizon can give us credit for the months we have had the Eris when it couldn't do all of the things it was supposed to be able to do (like bluetooth voice dialing and Google Maps).

0 Likes
Lowtech

Just talked to HTC...the official line now is that OS 2.1 is coming SECOND Quarter of this year.  Maybe Verizon can give us credit for the months we have had the Eris when it couldn't do all of the things it was supposed to be able to do (like bluetooth voice dialing and Google Maps).

In our dreams! :smileysad:

0 Likes
ck125

Never once was it said that the phone would be up to the latest and greatest software and it can make phone calls and access the web can it not? SO how can you say it doesnt do what it is supposed to do? HTC never promised blue tooth dialing. 

Also about the OS it isnt really that hard to download the leak i did it myself first time and im no tech wiz and i didnt brick my phone unless you cannot follow simply stated directions then you will be fine downloading the OS.

0 Likes
Lowtech

ck125 wrote:

Never once was it said that the phone would be up to the latest and greatest software and it can make phone calls and access the web can it not? SO how can you say it doesn't do what it is supposed to do? HTC never promised blue tooth dialing. 

Also about the OS it isn't really that hard to download the leak i did it myself first time and im no tech wiz and i didnt brick my phone unless you cannot follow simply stated directions then you will be fine downloading the OS.

Actually, no. It does not do what it should. The signal is so weak that it does not make or receive calls in many of the places that all my Palms/Treos did without problems. I am counting on that update to help with that, or I must lose my Eris, which I love otherwise... but a phone that doesn't do phone calls? Not good!

0 Likes
ck125

well then you have a bad phone because everyone i know that has an Eris has no problems with the signal strength or making phone calls for that matter

0 Likes