Note 4 USB connection not working on Windows 10
Purple256

After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, my computer no longer recognizes my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 when I plug in the USB cable.  I get an option to download the drivers but doing that does nothing.  The drivers on the Samsung support website appear to be for only up to Windows 8.1.  Any idea when/if Windows 10 USB drivers will be made available for the Note 4?  Or how to get Windows 10 to recognize it?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Note 4 USB connection not working on Windows 10
mama23dogs
Legend

Looks like windows 10 is ahead of Samsung.   Until new drivers are available this is it.

is there a function you are trying to do via usb?

0 Likes
Purple256

I want to copy picture files back and forth between my phone and PC.  Before it would show up as a mapped drive in Windows Explorer and I was hoping for the same functionality in Windows 10.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

OH, good, I have a suggestion, That may work for you.

I do everything wirelessly with Google photo.  The new Google photo app is free, and give you free online photo storage.  It will auto upload your pictures when connected to home wifi.  The pictures are then available on any device when you sign into your Google account.

i Used to use Dropbox, but Google offers unlimited storage.

0 Likes
Purple256

Thanks!  I will try that suggestion in the meantime until Samsung comes out with updated Windows 10 drivers.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Your welcome.  I'm surprised as 10 has been expected for some time. 

0 Likes
Purple256

I'll tell you what...I finally got it to work the way it used to after much trial and error!  Here's what seems to make it work:

- USB cable plugged in and device recognized on PC

- WiFi on the phone turned on and connected to same network as PC

One does not seem to work without the other.  For example, USB cable plugged in alone makes the device recognizable but browsing files on it does not work (original problem).  Having WiFi connected but USB cable unplugged does not work.

0 Likes
vanimations
Enthusiast - Level 1

I found that if I looked at the notifications along the top of my phone, the default "use USB for" was "Charging" and it said "Tap here for more options".  When I did that, the other options included "File Transfer", which allowed me to view my device and SD card storage on my PC.  I hope this helps.