Note 4 Lollipop phone connecting to WiFi and 4G at same time
fawcets
Enthusiast - Level 3

I’m having a problem with connectivity. Since I upgraded to Lollipop, my phone accesses both 4G and WiFi at the same time. Download booster is turned off and I’ve disabled every Verizon bloatware app I can find. And I’m not going to toggle mobile data on and off every time I come to and from my house. That’s not a solution. I bought the phone with Kit Kat and this never happened.

Now that I’ve upgraded to Lollipop, when I’m on WiFi at home, the icon is lit up and indicates I’m using mostly WiFi connectivity. But, at the same time, 4G up and down arrows flash intermittently while I’m using the phone. There’s nothing wrong with my WiFi connection – I checked it thoroughly.

I talked to “Michael” from Verizon last night starting at 7:01 Eastern 4/6/2015. He had me clear my phone’s cache and reset all phone settings. It still didn’t work. Michael told me he’d call me back tonight (4/7/2015). He was going to “measure” how much 4G data was pulling back and forth on my phone while I was home on 4/6 after work – while connected to WiFi. Today, on 4/7, he was supposed to call me and let me know if – and how much – 4G data my phone used while connected to WiFi the night of 4/6. I assumed we’d go from there, but I never got a response.

Please, someone, tell me why this is happening. I’m curious, but I’m also concerned about using up my data plan when I shouldn’t be at all. I know other people have the same problem because I see it in other forums. Nobody has a good answer – especially not Verizon.

Labels (1)
Re: Note 4 Lollipop phone connecting to WiFi and 4G at same time
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
fawcets,

It is truly odd for your device to use data an wifi at the same time. We would love to get to the bottom of this. When you sign into My Verizon and view your data usage does it show that there is data being used during the times you are connected to wifi? Does the 4G light up and show the data processing arrows when only in a certain app when connected to wifi?

LindseyT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
fawcets
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here’s my data usage from 4/7/15 while at home on WiFi:

1:20 AM - .21 MB

7:20 AM - 106.89 MB

10:30 PM - .7K

The data usage is nominal at this point, but it’s confusing/frustrating me because I don’t know why it’s doing it.

I’m asleep at 1:20 AM and 7:20 AM, so not sure why it’s using 4G during those times. The 4G usage at 10:30 PM is the only one that kind of makes sense — I did send/receive a few text messages before that time in the evening. My text message log said the last text message activity I had (just a SMS) was at 10:01 PM, though, not 10:30 PM. And what about the text messages I sent/received before then during the evening (between 6PM and 10PM)? Wouldn’t they show up on my 4G usage log too? I'm using Google Hangouts as my text app, by the way.

Either way, the 4G arrows still light up now and then when I’m at home on WiFi. I noticed it doing it here and there between 7 PM and 9:30 PM. My 4G usage log doesn’t reflect that, though, even though the 4G arrows are lighting (while I’m also connected to WiFi).

The nominal data usage is one thing. But I’m also very curious why this is happening all of the sudden right after the Lollipop upgrade.

Also, on a side note, my battery life has taken a considerable hit since the Lollipop upgrade. I’ve made sure to go through all my apps/settings to make sure nothing unnecessary is using power, but it’s still a noticeable difference. I’m hoping this will calibrate/even out soon. Any insight on that? I know it’s a problem other people are noticing as well.

0 Likes
bkw05
Enthusiast - Level 1

I seem to have the same issue. I don't know if the 4G is actually being used but I don't want it to be using my data allowance when I am on WIFI.

0 Likes
princeshoko
Enthusiast - Level 3

Mine is doing the same thing.  Both blink.  Cant tell which is which.    Could turn off phone data if needed to be just on wifi as a work around.

0 Likes
fawcets
Enthusiast - Level 3

Princeshoko:

I appreciate the response and I'm sorry you're having the same problem. Bottom line is that I bought a $700 piece of hardware from verizon, and I'm running a curated operating system Verizon pushed out to me. I pay them good money for reliable service. I'm not settling for a work around, I want them to give me a solution. So far, they can't do that. I want to know why and I want a fix.

rclksr
Enthusiast - Level 1

fawcets:

I have the same problem since "upgrading" to lollipop. When this device was on kitkat and I was connected to a WIFI my 4G icon was greyed out. Since the "upgrade"  the 4G icon never goes out. I have not tried it but I assume it would go out if I turned my data off, but why would I do that, I did not have to when on KitKat. I also believe my battery life has taken a hit since "upgrading" as well. I have not tracked my data usage yet but if the icon is on I bet I 'm using data, data I'm paying for that I did not use two days ago. Still no fix from Verizon. What about an option to roll back to kitkat until lollipop is fixed?

0 Likes
fawcets
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's definitely using 4G data while I'm on WiFi. Just check your data usage from your account page. See the image I attached for an example of my 4G data usage while I’m connected to WiFi at home. It’s about 80MB.

Until very recently, I had only 2GB of data per month. I was always close to going over. That 80MB could have easily caused me to go over and incur more monthly charges, all while I think I’m in the clear because I’m at home connected to WiFi.

We’re not the only people having this WiFi/4G problem. I’ve seen this question on other Android forums. Nobody has a good answer/explanation. PLEASE TELL US WHAT’S GOING ON, VERIZON!

home-on-wifi.png@LindseyT_VZW

fawcets
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello LindseyT/Verizon:

Any updates on this issue?

0 Likes
eathornb08

Has this been resolved?

0 Likes