Note 3 forced software upgrade
matt2401

First I got screwed with this HORRIBLE lollipop update. Now yesterday an OTA update was pushed that forced me to either install or schedule an automatic install, there was no "no thanks" option. Now my battery is getting killed today. Here is a hint Verizon: you got rid of subsidized phones so I now have ZERO reason to stay other than service. Why are you forcing these updates on us?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Note 3 forced software upgrade
mrmeach
Enthusiast - Level 3

In theory, an update is supposed to improve the devices and fix existing problems, not cause major headaches, so people usually want them as soon as possible.  By setting up the process to happen automatically, rather than having us go search out the update, they're doing us a favor... in theory.  But in this case, not so much.

Going forward (and I know this doesn't help you at the moment), Google needs to steal a page from Microsoft and distinguish between an update and an upgrade.  Before Windows 10, a new Windows OS came preloaded onto new machines only.  If you wanted the new OS for an older machine, you had to buy it and then deal with the headaches you brought upon yourself.  Techie types thrive on headaches, so that works out just fine.  This setup (where we pay for upgrades) doesn't, however, stop Microsoft from making an existing OS better with security patches and other fixes. Plus the Windows update feature makes those happen automatically, so you don't have to ask for them.  And this is great for all us non-techies, as far as updates go.

But an update is not an upgrade.  And in the case of the latest Android OS, Lollipop is an UPGRADE. Lollipop uses ART whereas KitKat uses Dalvik.  Yes, let that sink in because it means nothing to me.  I'm not that techie, so all I can add to this is to parrot what I've read elsewhere and that is this: KitKat and Lollipop do not run with the same engine. And that seems kind of major to me, even though I don't understand anything else about it. That said, however, little ol' ignorant me knows better than to just drop a new engine into an old car and expect it to work, and that's pretty much what has happened here.

Bottom line:  Push the updates; make the upgrades available.

By the way, like yourself, I am a Verizon customer.  I am not a customer service agent nor am I associated with anyone in the supply chain for their products.  I visit these forums like yourself, looking for answers and contributing where I can. As an LG G3 owner, I was spared the ravages of a bad Lollipop install by following the advice I found here in the forums.  The poor guys in Customer Service have been largely left in the dark, in regards to the mess that has been caused by the Lollipop upgrade, so they're in here learning like the rest of us.

As of late, I too have been thinking of jettisoning Verizon for other carriers but not because of this.  I'm always getting 1-bar 4G LTE coverage, even though their coverage map indicates I should be getting the best level of their service; and when I travel overseas, I'm always envious of how much simpler it is for my buddy to get his GSM-based device (Verizon is CDMA) to work for much less money.  I don't, however, think you will not find any improvement on the Lollipop upgrade issue by switching carriers.  But they should do something to make you feel like you're not getting screwed, if they truly understand anything about customer service.

Good luck.  

0 Likes
mrmeach
Enthusiast - Level 3

mrmeach wrote:

...I don't, however, think you will not find any improvement on the Lollipop upgrade issue by switching carriers.  But they should do something to make you feel like you're not getting screwed, if they truly understand anything about customer service.

Good luck. 

Pardon my double-negative in the second-to-last sentence above.  It should read as it does with the word "not" striked out of the sentence.  Unlike Facebook's editor, this forum's editor isn't quite advanced enough to let us correct or dismiss a previously posted comment that has not been viewed by anyone else.  Wish I could though.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

mrmeach wrote:

Pardon my double-negative in the second-to-last sentence above.  It should read as it does with the word "not" striked out of the sentence.  Unlike Facebook's editor, this forum's editor isn't quite advanced enough to let us correct or dismiss a previously posted comment that has not been viewed by anyone else.  Wish I could though.

There's a five-minute window after a post is left in which you can edit or remove the post.