Not getting Facebook (and other) notifications unless connected to wi-fi
jkdraper
Enthusiast - Level 1

About two weeks ago I stopped getting notifications unless I'm connected to wifi. I get calls, texts and emails fine, but nothing else.

It's highly annoying walking in the house, having my wifi turn on automatically and suddenly getting a dozen or so notifications, let alone not knowing that I have messages when traveling.
I have mobile data turned on. I really don't know what is causing this.

I'm using a Droid 4, and have never had any problems in the year and a half I've had the phone.

Anyone have any ideas besides going back to factory settings and starting over?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Not getting Facebook (and other) notifications unless connected to wi-fi
andycoop
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good news, I was able to solve my issue. Hopefully, it will work for you. The problem was that background data was turned off in an obscure place. Go to Settings/connections/data usage and scroll down to Google services. Tap that and make sure Restrict background data is unchecked.

While you are at it, check all the app and make sure they are unchecked. I get a feeling that some of them (if not all) are linked with regards to that setting.

Hope it works for you.

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jkdraper,
Oh no, let's get your notifications back and business and flowing again. Is your software up to date? Have you tried doing a soft reset, removing Sim Card and restarting the phone? What notifications are you not getting? Since you stated calls, text and emails are fine. Please clarify so we can look into this further for you.

KarenC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jkdraper
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have tried doing a soft reset and it has not solved my problems. I also

tried uninstalling all updates for the Facebook app and then reinstalling

them with no luck. As far as I can tell the problem is with push

notifications. I am definitely not getting Facebook notifications (unless

I'm connected to wifi). I'm also not positive, but I also believe I am not

getting notifications from eBay and Twitter, but I don't get notifications

from them enough to be sure that the two times I got them when I entered

wifi wasn't just a coincidence.

Any other suggestions?

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
andycoop
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same here. Started happening about a month ago. When connected to Wifi I get all my notifications, Gmail, Facebook, weather, etc. When not connected to Wifi, I get no notifications. I can go to the app and refresh to get new content, but push notifications are gone.

Any ideas?

~~Andy

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jkdraper, thanks for your patience and cooperation. You've completed some great troubleshooting steps. Are you connected to Wi-Fi when you're unable to recieve notifications? If so, try disabling the Wi-Fi feature to see if you're able to recieve notifications. Thiah make/model phone do you have? Try uninstalling the Facebook applications and then redownloading it again to soft reset. Keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW

0 Likes
jkdraper
Enthusiast - Level 1

When I am connected to wifi, I receive everything fine. I have tried

turning off the wifi when I am not somewhere I am connected to it, and it

does not help.

I have also uninstalling Facebook and reinstalling it, with no luck.

In addition I have confirmed that I am also not getting Twitter or Google

Hangouts notifications either.

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 1:26 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
andycoop
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have exactly the same symptoms. When connected to WiFi, I get all my notifications. When not connected to WiFi, I get none.

~~Andy

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

jkdraper wrote:

... About two weeks ago I stopped getting notifications unless I'm connected to wifi....

I have mobile data turned on. I really don't know what is causing this.

I'm using a Droid 4, and have never had any problems in the year and a half I've had the phone.

Anyone have any ideas besides going back to factory settings and starting over?

Have you changed settings to conserve data, like turning off background updates for apps, only update over wifi, only sync over wifi? 

You may have automatic updates to apps and other notifications turned off unless you are connected to wifi.  If you DO enable the automatic updates, you may see a jump in your data usage.

Check the app settings for those apps you want to receive automatic notifications and updates for; other than that, I don't know why things would have changed two weeks ago - an app or device software update?

0 Likes
andycoop
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good news, I was able to solve my issue. Hopefully, it will work for you. The problem was that background data was turned off in an obscure place. Go to Settings/connections/data usage and scroll down to Google services. Tap that and make sure Restrict background data is unchecked.

While you are at it, check all the app and make sure they are unchecked. I get a feeling that some of them (if not all) are linked with regards to that setting.

Hope it works for you.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jkdraper,

This sounds like a setting may be incorrectly set up, and so we need to find out which one it is and fix it! In addition to what SuzyQ suggested, I'm thinking it may be that some apps like Facebook, Twitter, Hangouts, ect....require background data to be turned on to function when not connected to Wi-Fi. I suggest following the directions to Restrict Data Usage By App here: http://vz.to/1gKkmIb to see if the data is restricted is for those apps. If it is, go ahead and unrestrict it, then test. 

Another setting to check is the Alerts for that particular app. You will have to open the app, select settings, and then view alerts to make sure they are on.

SarahO_VZW

0 Likes