Not Getting Push Notifications When Connected to Wifi.
winter_snowfall

I may have already posted this, but I can't find my question.

Droid Razor Maxx. Upgraded to Android 4.4.4. I no longer receive push notifications when connected to wifi. It's not our home router, as my daughter's phone and our tablets do get push notifications when connected to wifi. Oddly enough, my daughter has the same phone and is running the same version of Android.

When I turn off wifi, my phone blows up with notifications.

I have two Google email accounts on my phone, one personal, one for work. Since I am on call for work at least one week per month, it's important that I am notified of new messages.

Anyone else having this issue? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Not Getting Push Notifications When Connected to Wifi.
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Is your issue limited to just e-mail or text or both?

0 Likes
winter_snowfall

Text messages are OK. I do not get push notifications for Gmail messages.

Nor for other apps, i.e mlb, emergency alerts, etc.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I would try a couple things. I would turn off your Wi-Fi and then go into Settings>Advanced and make sure that if you have things like "keep wi-fi connected during sleep" is selected - especially if you turn off mobile data while on wi-fi.

I won't have the specifics steps for you, but I know on my phone I can limit when messages come through; so when I'm off the clock I don't get work e-mails. While this may not be your problem, I would search within your E-mail app and whatever account you're wanting to get notifications, just to verify you haven't set restrictions.

You can also view them under Settings>Account (Hopefully)

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Could it be that you are connected to a public network over a private router?  I know XFinity (Comcast) does this and I think AT&T does as well.  If your device is set to automatically connect to one of these, but you haven't entered your email and password, you won't get to the internet.

0 Likes
winter_snowfall

Thanks for your help all. I figured what is causing my issue, but I don't know how to fix it.

I hope this makes sense. When I swipe down from the top of the phone, in the upper right hand corner, there is a small box with 5 other boxes around it. When I select it, it displays 9 boxes, for Brightness, Settings, my Wifi network, Verizon Wirless, Battery Level, Airplane Mode, Bluetooth, Location and Clock. These settings are white on a black background.

Sometimes the Wifi and Verizon Wireless icons  are orange instead of white. I've heard that the orange indicates the phone is not sending or receiving data. This makes sense to me, because if Wifi & VW icons are white-I get push notifications. If they are orange-no push notifications.

I rebooted my router, and rebooted the phone. The icons were still orange. I set the phone to airplane mode for a few minutes, turned off airplane mode, and now the Wifi and VW icons are white again. So, at the moment, I am OK. I will keep an eye on it to see if the problem continues.

Michelle

0 Likes