No 4G since kitkat
cassqrd
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Galaxy S4, updated to Kit Kay on April 25th. Since then my 4G service has been horrible, if I get it at all. I'm usually on 3g or 1x, only one bar, sometimes roaming or no service at all. Called tech support, had me pull the battery and SIM card. After that I went and got a new SIM card. I just did a factory reset, that didn't help either.  It seems that the soft reset helps, but only temporarily. After a while I'm back to crappy reception again. Are there phone settings that I need to change (APN, network settings, etc.) that got messed up with the update?  PLEASE help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: No 4G since kitkat
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello cassqrd, signal at your fingertips is what we strive for! Does issue happen both indoors and outdoors? What zip code are you located in? A hard reset would get the phone back to factory settings to connect. Keep us posted!

WiltonA_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
cassqrd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Indoors and out, zip code at home is 91932 and work is 92118. Did a factory reset the other day, helped maybe a little bit but still get 3g, 1x, and roaming occasionally.

0 Likes
jessicaznyc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Am I allowed to chime in here? I'm in the same exact situation however I'm in nyc. I had my 8 month old s4 replacement arrive this past Monday (my original s4 stopped connecting to the mobile network last Friday,  verizon store rep said the antenna probably stopped functioning) Since Monday the 5th I've had to restart my phone every day before making a call because otherwise it wouldn't connect.  After restarting the phone text messages and voice mails mysteriously arrive. 90% of the time it's jumping from 1 to 3G.

miked333

I'm having the same issue with my Droid DNA. I used to get great 4G just about everywhere around here in the 02190 zip code. Now I see 3G most of the time and even 1X which I never used to see at all.

Most of the time even when it says I am on 4G, no internet applications can actually connect. Web browsing doesn't work, emails don't come in, Facebook can't update, etc. It's reporting that I am connected but I'm really not.

This all started right after installing that stupid update on April 24.

0 Likes
EvntHorizn

I am also having the same issue with my LG G2, area code 19963.  I am planning to test out whether or not I am just crazy by driving around a bit and seeing if my wife's galaxy nexus is maintaining 4g in areas I believed I had it in the past.  I have also found that sometimes I can flick airplane mode on and off acquire 4g, use it for a few minutes and then it flicks back down to 3g.

0 Likes
cassqrd
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a galaxy s4, but my husband's s3 does fine. He didn't do the

software update though. I wonder if it would work to restore an old backup

I did pre-Kit Kat.

jessicaznyc
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think it's absolutely insane with the cost of our monthly service that we have to brainstorm on a forum "ways to possibly fix our phones" in order to utilize what we are paying for.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for sharing this information, jessicaznyc. We definitely aim to help get your service back up and running how it normally should be! With regards to your S4, is your phone currently set to LTE/CDMA, vs Global? Check by going to Settings>More Networks>Mobile Networks>Network Mode

Let us know if this helps out!

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
tt_0814
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the Galaxy S4 and am having the same issues described by cassqrd since doing the software update. I've pulled out the battery and SIM card, and upon reboot, am connected to 4G LTE temporarily.  It then switches to 3G... and I haven't moved!  I'm in So Cal and had NO issues whatsoever with 4G connectivity before the update.  I checked my settings and confirmed that the phone is indeed set to LTE/CDMA.  I agree with jessicaznyc... this is ridiculous.  How to I get the 4G service I'm paying for????