Re: Nexus 6 bought through Motorola?
Tidbits
Legend

I will probably have to repeat myself a few more times since the release of the Nexus 6. Yes I have one and Yes it works on Verizon. No I did not buy it from Verizon.

It will work but you can't activate the sim card that's it. The IMEI are in the database but Verizon have it flagged as unknown device like all beta devices that hasn't hit the market just yet (this includes the 3G devices before LTE came around).

To activate the nano sim buy a sim adaptor tool. Amazon $3 or less with free shipping. I prefer Noosy. Use it in your old device and activate the sim by calling customer care or online. Once that's complete switch to your new Nexus 6. I personally would give it 2 hours to make sure everything works 100%. It's the standard mumbo jumbo they say when they activate a sim.

RCBAD
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know it will work that way but what I am hoping as I'm sure a small group are as well is that you can just activate a non Verizon Nexus 6 without going through any hoops. So it shows properly on your account and insurance covers it, with this phone there is always the "non legit" option of doing what you just stated or just activating in another compatible phone. I just hope when this Thursday comes around and it officially releases to stores that non Verizon versions can activate normally. I just don't see much difference between either model except a logo and a slight amount of bloat, that's why in my head there is no reason to blacklist the IMEI in the first place.

0 Likes
RCBAD
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not that this should be any more comforting but this happened if hopefully its helpful info.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nexus6/comments/2z94v2/iama_verizon_employee_ama_about_your_nexus_6_and/

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

No it will not be covered by insurance. The insurance coverage is specifically for phones bought through the carriers. You have to get coverage from outside if you don't get them from carriers.

Activation isn't that big of a deal unless you are switching sim card sizes constantly which a sim adaptor reduces the amount of switching unless the Sims get smaller than Nano.

Tidbits
Legend

The phones are legit they IMEI are in the system and they work like they should. The only thing it won't do is activate the sim because it doesn't have the software to do so built in. Sprint has carrier payload to do it without it the Sprint version will not work at all(people have removed the carrier stuff and phone stopped working until a factory reset and reinstall.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Wanted to add those skus when that happens is the day when the carrier payload happens. So it'll activate like the Sprint version which mean you'll download some bloat along with it.

0 Likes
RCBAD
Enthusiast - Level 2

Disregard all the comments in this section do yourself a favor like I did please call Verizon at 1-866-221-4096 and explain what this topic is about they can activate your Motorola purchased Nexus 6's at least they did for me finally I can move off the GNex I am ecstatic right now. The person I talked to just now said it may be a bit goofy on your devices until they get them in the system but as long as you are not changing your plan you should be fine. I got to share this with the interwebz now please tell everyone you can find in this situation!

0 Likes
kiveysc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Please continue this thread. Called the number above , and my phone is STILL a non Verizon device.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Yet it still works and so what's the problem? If it's about insurance you can't get insurance as the policy ilicitly states purchased from Verizon.  All else all works.

0 Likes
Not applicable

But will you be able to use Advanced Calling 1.0 on a non-Verizon Nexus 6?

0 Likes