Re: Nexus 6 Availability
GlueFactoryBJJ

And the lack of timely updates from carriers like Verizon is one of the main reasons why Google is separating the core functionality (os/drivers) from non-core functionality so we can get updates for most things via Google Play.

However, that doesn't address updates for Nexus devices.  You do bring up a worthy point in questioning whether or not Verizon will allow Google to push through updates ASAP or if they will continue to drag the updates through their (ab)normal LONG "verification/validation" process. 

I understand that their management mistakenly believes dragging out updates will "encourage" people to update, but IMO, it does just the opposite.  At the very least, it further erodes any trust their customers may have that Verizon will give them any customer service and very likely results in Verizon's bottom of the barrel customer service scores.

0 Likes
kingdomman3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I talked with a guy from support yesterday and he said he has received several calls about the Nexus 6, but he didn't have anything to tell them.

0 Likes
impala454

An in store rep told me they will not offer the Nexus 6 subsidized on contract.  It will be available via the Google Play Store.

0 Likes
kingdomman3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm okay with that, but you would think it would be announced if that was the case. I don't think Google would allow them to offer it with all the traditional Verizon bloatware.

0 Likes
Jerry_G
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually no you couldn't roll back even with a unlocked boot loader. Samsung signed packages made it so you couldn't. So either way you'd be voiding your warranty. This was a move made by... Samsung

unlocked bootloader will allow Root access, which would allow you to load an older ROM package, or a ASOP package.  Yes, warranty is out the window, but you want to ask me what good my warranty is on my GS3 that Samsung broke via bad update?  Would you rather have a warranty, or a working phone?  The problem is software, not hardware, so warranty is useless.  Unlocked bootloader would allow me to fix this issue. But however you look at it, this is a bit of a sidebar

The real question - When will Verizon give us a formal position on the Nexus 6?  If (as someone said above) the official position is, buy it for full price from GPS, then tell us this, and quit stringing us along.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Them you can do it with the GS3 for Verizon. I believe the same exploit of the newer GS would also work on the older. Oh since it's an old phone it may be the devs already abandoned support for that kind of thing since they moved on to newer devices.

0 Likes
Jerry_G
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tidbits wrote:

Them you can do it with the GS3 for Verizon. I believe the same exploit of the newer GS would also work on the older. Oh since it's an old phone it may be the devs already abandoned support for that kind of thing since they moved on to newer devices.

Actually, no.  the 4.3 update took away the ability to work around the locked boot-loader.  After 4.3, even if you don't care about the knox counter, you can't get kernel level access.  and without a new kernel, my radio can't be fixed.  So 4.3 removed kernel access, then a few months later 4.4 broke radio. Like I said, this could be a whole new thread.

[/hyjack]

VZW - Sell me a bootloader unlocked phone!

0 Likes
prestigeworldwide

this is rediculous, the whole thing has been screwed from the start on both ends, I just hate how noone i speak to at a verizon store has even heard of the damn phone, and when you call customer support, they are not any help at all and the only answer they can give you is that they dont know... there needs to be a better answer than that, or atleast an aknowledgement that they know that this is frustrating and a rough guess of when they will be carrying it

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Jerry_G wrote:

Actually, no.  the 4.3 update took away the ability to work around the locked boot-loader.  After 4.3, even if you don't care about the knox counter, you can't get kernel level access.  and without a new kernel, my radio can't be fixed.  So 4.3 removed kernel access, then a few months later 4.4 broke radio. Like I said, this could be a whole new thread.

[/hyjack]

VZW - Sell me a bootloader unlocked phone!

The reason why is because the developers who found the exploit are no longer on the GS3.  If they were they'd probably find a way, but elected for new exploits since well they get paid in donations(which I find silly people call it that).  I prefer the term bounties.  It happens.

kingdomman3
Enthusiast - Level 2