Re: Nexus 5
mnovosel
Enthusiast - Level 2

No one is leaving...there is no exodus.  A few techies perhaps and I for sure pondered it for a moment, but then realized "oh wait its a phone and they give me great coverage at my office where I use my phone as my sole wireless source of data".

No one has heard of the Nexus 5.  Well to clear up we have heard of it.  But everyone here is likely a techie or an electronics fan of some sort.  They are not my parents who don't care and just want a phone or the average consumer who could care less and also "just wants a phone that works".  And that's what the bulk of the market is.  People who just want a phone for a reasonable price under contract.  The only reason my g/f has a Galaxy Nexus 3 is because I told her to get it since it was the same phone I have.  She has no clue what the difference between her phone and something like a Droid Maxx would be.  She also wouldn't care.

And that is most of the market.  They don't care.  They buy the Galaxy S4 because that's what is advertised.  The "barely any" selection of phones with VZN is good enough for most people.  How do I know this?  Their Q2 profits were $20 BILLION which are about 7% higher than last years profits.  So clearly they have been GAINING CUSTOMERS.  You think any of us techie nerds leaving changes anything?  Nope!  Not in the least!  So while I'm not a fan of anything except for VZN's coverage, please spare me your "wow hundreds of thousands are leaving".  That's utter BS.  I would bet that half of the guys posting their angry "I'm leaving" will think twice when they go to Tmobile and their data speeds go down.  Where I am in the Chicago market, my data speeds are faster on VZN than my other line on Tmobile (assuming I get service at all).

People THINK they're voting by posting angry comments.  The reality is that except for the one off cases, no one is going anywhere.  And for now...certainly not me even though I'd love to go.

0 Likes
Mraoul
Enthusiast - Level 3

People are leaving, but it's not in droves. It'll be a trickle at best. As a point, I've already begun the process to port my number to T-mobile. If I get fed up with T-Mobile, I'll go to ATT (or sprint, or a reseller). I just see no point in staying with Verizon (or going back) when the other major three carriers are leagues freer service-wise. And all of this will probably be moot when Verizon goes full VoLTE in late 2014, since they will no longer *legally* be able to restrict the devices on their network..

mnovosel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unlimited data on Tmobile is $70 a month.  Not sure where you're pulling $30 a month from.  Also with the unlimited data you get up to 2.5gigs and then they slow you down to roughly 2G speeds.  I use typically 20gigs on the low end and 60 on the high end per month without ever being slowed down by VZN (except during peak times I've seen it slow sometimes drastically for up to 30 minutes).

What you said sounds like more of an empty threat than anything else man.

0 Likes
mnovosel
Enthusiast - Level 2

How do you begin to port your number?  You walk in to Tmobile and you port it.  It's done in minutes not as a "process".  Which to me indicates that you haven't actually done anything.  I'm not a VZN fanboy, in fact I dislike their customer service greatly and their lack of phones personally.  Simply calling out "empty rants".

I believe that there's no point to staying with Verizon if you're not constantly using their data like I am.  I run a photography studio and my phone acts as my hotspot using one of the apps that let's me do wireless tethering.  It's easy for me to use 1-2gigs per day of data.  If I switched to Tmobile I would need to get Comcast or other internet provider because Tmobile service is not good inside of my studio or in my area of Chicago at all.

What's likely is that I'll wait to see what "rumored device" they're working on for 2014 and if I don't like that, then once my Nexus 3 becomes very slow and the battery finally stops holding a charge, I will get the Moto X or some other phone that "does the job".  Now if VZN was to take away my unlimited data...you betcha I'm outta here!

ishmoo2111
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Nexus 5 came in the mail on Thursday and I switched to T-Mobile.  There is a $30/month plan.  It is under the prepaid site.  After taxes it came to $32 for me and it includes 100 minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited data (aka 5gb of LTE and unlimited 2G data after that).  It sounds like you do use a lot of data a Verizon is gonna be your best bet, but Tmobile is where I went since I have at most used 4GB/month.  I had been with Verizon since 2005 and just got fed up and I am not an empty threat.  They won't miss me though.  I would bet they get rid of your unlimited data in the next 2 years but I hope they don't.

This is from the Tmobile site

$30 -100 minutes talk | Unlimited text | First 5 GB at up to 4G speeds

PS - Now that I left Verizon I cannot sign back into My Verizon to shut off these email updates to this thread so I had to create a community user profile.

ishmoo2111
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Nexus 5 came in the mail on Thursday so I left Verizon for T-Mobile and while I cant get the LTE in my home, the 3G is as about as fast as the Verizon LTE I was getting.  I am pulling about 10/3 which is a little less than 10/5 my Droid Razr was getting with LTE.  There is T-Mobile LTE about 5 minutes away from my house so I wonder what that will give me.  I'm happy so far but the good thing with the Nexus 5 is that I could always buy an ATT LTE sim card and go to Straight Talk for $45/month and use the ATT LTE network without having to switch phones.

0 Likes
ishmoo2111
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also with the $70 T-mobile plan you do get unlimited data at 4G speeds.  It is the $60 plan that you get 2.5GB at 4G speeds.

htc-garbage
Enthusiast - Level 2

We want nexus 5 support! Geez vzw keeps making all the wrong moves.  It's exhausting.  But my contact ended...  I'm free I'm free!  Never looking back. 

mgerbasio1
mnovosel, I agree with a lot of what you said, I had a similar post. The number of users impacted by a Nexus 5 is tiny on Verizon. Most of the people here saying they're leaving won't. But Verizon won't be gaining any Nexus 5 users either, and it is a top selling phone right now.

I haven't ported my number yet. I'm happy with the Nexus 5, sans two issues, battery life and speaker (Google is correcting the speaker firmware) are really the only problems with the phone I've seen. T-Mobile works fine for me in Metro NYC, there are places its better and worse than Verizon.

I'm not leaving just because of the N5, its a combination of reasons.

-Poor android support (slow updates) across the product line

-Nexus 5

-Nexus 7 although this MAY be resolved.

-Cost $130 on Verizon vs $70 on T-Mobile vs $45 prepaid services

-Data speed in NYC is generally 1-3mbps, sometimes faster, sometimes slower.

-Google Wallet

With the N5, T-Mobile, AT&T and Sprint are all options for me and I can switch with the change of a sim card, no contracts.

Verizon won't miss me.

0 Likes
gigless
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm another no one that is leaving vzw.  I've been with Verizon for over 10 years, and they just keep getting worse. I have purchased two N5 handsets from play store and I'm switching to T-Mobile when my contract with vzw expires next month. I know I'm not alone and Verizon will loose many long time customers in the coming month. This is just from word of mouth advertising. I know most customers don't care, but when my extended family are shopping for phones they ask the family techie, who will not recommend Verizon because of financial reasons they cannot argue with...  I pay $250 a month (with taxes and fees) for 2 smart phones with unlimited data and mobile hot spot from Verizon.  I normally use about 10gb per month between the 2 phones. Moving to mobile share on VZW of 10gb, saves me 9$ a month over my unlimited plan, which is nothing in savings, cause all it takes is one month going over 10gb and the savings is gone.  T-Mobile is good in my area and have just upgraded their 4G network here. The download speeds are showing faster than VZW, plus they are offering no annual contract so If I don't like the service I can go to ATT or Sprint.  I also get unlimited talk, text, and 4g data, with no throttling, and 2.5 gb to use for hot spot.  All this on both phones for $120 a month + taxes and fees. (70$ first phone 50$ additional line) This saves my family over $100 a month.  Who in anyone's family couldn't use an extra $1200 a year.  After I recoup the out of pocket for the two phones, which was $700 , minus the $400 (I would have spent on upgrading 2 higher end phones from VZW), its all saved cash and a lot of it. If I stay with the N5s and T-Mobile for 2 years, its $2100 less than what I would have paid at Verizon for being locked in on a 2 year contract.  That is too big of savings to ignore.