Re: Nexus 5
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

My guess is that, for one, the locked down, closed nature of the iEnvironment, makes Verizon feel much safer about letting them have access to their proprietary bits that go into the firmware (CDMA radio programming).  On top of that, Apple held so much of the smartphone market share that they held the upper hand and have never let that go.  Other OEMs just don't have the pull that Apple has (though Samsung may be getting there).  Verizon also takes the biggest loss on the iPhone, probably because they don't allow any Verizon apps pre-installed. 

Fortunately, due to the increased internal storage of newer phones and the fact that they can be disabled on ICS+, this is becoming less of a big deal.

0 Likes
Mraoul
Enthusiast - Level 3

There's nothing about CDMA that's proprietary. It's a well known standard, albeit not used heavily across the world. The only catch with CDMA is that it doesn't use a removable piece of hardware that gives the network subscriber information. Which is why you need to give a CDMA provider (like Verizon or Sprint) your phone's information for it to be able to connect. Newer phones have SIM slots due to LTE being similar in nature to GSM. Also, it has nothing to do with Verizon feeling 'safer,' it's pure market driven direction.

True, at the time Apple *was* the smartphone market, but that was years ago and as we all know Android (as a whole platform) holds a staggering majority. Verizon takes a loss on almost *all* devices due to subsidization. They make money in the monthly fees you pay, but yeah, they probably lose more due to the lack of pre-installed apps.

You keep making apologies or excuses on behalf of Verizon for problems left and right -- these just temporary alleviations of a widespread problem that Verizon will not recognize unless we do so for them. You can, at the least, admit that this is a problem and Verizon is, at least partially, at fault, can you not?

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

CDMA is not an open standard like GSM is so, yes, it is proprietary.  It may be a well known standard, but it is still licensed technology.

I don't remember the exact number, but Android just barely has the majority share (I think it's around 51-52%) and, as an OEM, Apple still holds the largest share.  I know Verizon takes a loss on all devices, but they take the largest loss on Apple's devices.

The only way for people to show Verizon that they are not satisfied is to go to a different carrier.  Unfortunately, there just aren't enough people who actually care for Verizon to see a reason to change.

0 Likes
Mraoul
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you're talking about licensing, I thought it was owned and licensed out by Qualcomm -- not sure what relationship this has to Verizon or what proprietary information they have over Qualcomm spec. Even then, everything is moving to LTE and Verizon has already stated intentions to start migration to VoLTE in a year or so.

Barely holding the majority is not bad when Android leads by more than the margin of error. Also, the number one phone manufacturer is Samsung, not Apple. It's been that way for over a year now. I don't know whether the 5S and 5C have shifted that but it won't change the fact that Android is here to stay and has a huge presence.

Also, speaking of the iPhone, a recent report about the 4 major carriers int he US (unfortunately I don't remember the source, it was on engadget recently) said that iPhone users were most satisfied on Verizon but for *every* other phone they cited Verizon as the worst carrier.

But you're right the only way to get Verizon to listen is with our wallets, even as small as it may be. Which is why, no ifs ands or buts I'll be leaving Verizon when I get a Nexus 5

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Samsung makes more than just smartphones, they still have a fair amount of dumbphones.  Apple has the biggest chunk of the smartphone pie.  And whether or not Verizon is going to move to VoLTE (which won't be for at least 5 years), they are currently using CDMA.  While they may get the tech licensed to them from Qualcomm, that doesn't mean they can just hand out the code to whoever wants it.

V

0 Likes
Mraoul
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have absolutely no idea where you're getting your information from, but these are points you should concede.

Samsung, up through September 2013, was the number one "smartphone" manufacturer according to IDC (WorldWide) and also according to CIRP (US, check CNN Money). I didn't think I needed to qualify, but apparently, I do.

CDMA licensing is done directly through qualcomm through the acquisition of CDMA/WCDMA chips. You do not need to contact Verizon at all to include CDMA 'code' into your phone, since you can't use CDMA without licensed hardware anyway. The 'code' for CDMA is the drivers that are supplied by the chip manufactuers NOT the carriers. The Nexus 5, as a point has CDMA support (most likely meant for sprint). This would still allow it to ride on Verizon's EV-DO (CDMA2000) network if it was authorized (subscriber information). This is also why you can roam with Verizon, since Sprint exists and uses the same standard. The technology is there, the Nexus 5 only lacks some of Verizon's LTE bands, which is a major sticking point and the obvious 'Verizon Certification' b-s.

Also, according to the Verizon CFO in August, they plan to launch VoLTE mid-2014 and by the end of 2014, consumers should see the first LTE-only phones (no CDMA) popping up. This is according to the Verizon CFO -- this is not a "whether or not" situation, it is happening and soon.

With that information, there's no excuse that Apple should be exempt from the process but not, say Samsung or Morotola or why CDMA should hold up adoption of phones.

0 Likes
billyjk
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just want an N5.  Smiley Happy

The common belief is that VZW won't carry it.

I am moving to T-Mo as soon as possible b/c of the likely lack of N5 and the lack of unlimited data.  VZW is badly out-of-step on these fronts.

GreatEnigma
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm with everyone else though. If Verizon doesn't get the Nexus 5 (and they won't), I'm switching my 4 lines to T-Mobile's $30 prepaid plan.  100 minutes and unlimited text and data for $30/line.  That's literally less than half what I'm paying now and I can use whatever phone I like.

Comments edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

billyjk, the common belief of our company is that we only provide devices that will give you the best wireless experience. We don't want you to leave. Stay tuned to see what our friends at Samsung have in store for us http://bit.ly/n5snpq

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
billyjk
Enthusiast - Level 3

LasinaH

Thanks for the reply.

I guess this is a matter of perspective.  If this was the McDonald's forum, I am sure they would say that they are convinced that they are "providing the best food experience" - even though we all know that they really aren't.

I know that the leading VZW devices, like the S4 and HTC One are good handsets, but they are not in the same league as the upcoming N5 hardware - along with the capability to be directly connected with Google for an "always the latest" Nexus Google experience.  I also know that the audience for Nexus devices is smaller than the audience that just wants to buy an iPhone or S4, but this audience is an important part of your customer base, and one that will not easily accept the notion that Nexus devices inherently won't "provide the best wireless experience".

So, the more rational perspective, based on information available now, is that the very best wireless experience for many of us will be the N5 running on a non-VZW network - and that should be OK - we should just acknowledge that.

I'd prefer to stay with VZW, I'd prefer to keep my 5 unlimited lines and I'd prefer to buy an N5 even at an unsubsidized price point.  I don't think any of this will happen.

0 Likes