Re: Nexus 5 likely not coming to Verizon
Crooke356
Enthusiast - Level 2

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/10/22/galaxy-nexus-and-original-razr-owners-what-are-you-upgrading-to...

I suppose this doesn't represent all the previous GNex owners but I'd imagine it applies to most. 2 years since the GNex was released and its contract time for those who bought it. 41% of those polled are leaving VZW.

Crooke356
Enthusiast - Level 2

Posting this, I've finally accepted it. Poo. Goodbye VZW.

atrain11
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am very frustrated with Verizon. In some ways I have to thank them for making me an Android user because they did not have the iphone out of the gate and helped grow the android platform.  However, once they picked up the iphone android become an afterthought.  Apple and Verizon are perfect for each other...walled garden philosophy mixed with a good dose of greed.  Verizon speeds are not the best but their coverage is undeniable.  It is very hard for me to swith because of unlimited data and a corporate discount but I don't know if I can do a non-nexus phone.  Unlike many I have no problem with how verizon handled the gnex, I am capable of flashing the latest greatest myself.  I would be perfectly happy with a Nexus 5 on Verizon without timely carrier updates beacause I can do it myself...they just need to carry the damn phone already. 

Crooke356
Enthusiast - Level 2

You said it. Perfect. Horrible customer service in stores (over the phone it's been great in my experience) but it's the unlimited and coverage that make this a difficult decision for me. I never understood the whole update thing. The few people who even care about the Nexus on VZW would also be the same who could the update via other means..

I have the G2 and development has just exploded in the last 2 days. Personally, the back is ugly to me. The fingerprint attractor plastic is just a horrible choice and the VZW branding on the top right front of the device is ridiculous but I'm able to live with and actually enjoy this thing. The Nexus is going to awesome. Better looks, better fit in hand and even more development. And... it's a Nexus. I'll buy it when it comes out. If I can live with T-Mobile or AT&T's coverage, goodbye VZW. G2 is great but I'll sell it, buy the Nexus 5 and put the remaining money on the new Nexus 10.... or whatever else they launch.. If any

rsteele
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also agree. I am a software engineer, and I develop open source software. I can update the phone on my own using a linux machine.  Plain and simple. So it's not a big deal regarding OTA updates. If they carry the phone, I will buy it. Anybody who wants a vanilla android OS will do the same. PLEASE VERIZON, allow the NEXUS 5 on your network. Don't worry about SW updates, we'll handle it ourselves.

hpEngineer83
Enthusiast - Level 1

So the Nexus 5 just released, and as rumored, not on Verizon and no plans for it either according to customer service for both Google and VZW..... 12+ years with VZW between my own plan and being on my parents' when I was younger. Never had any problems/issues with until now, VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY

DISAPPOINTED .

My 12+ years with Verizon will

be coming to an end. Best carrier huh? I used to think so.

1hqtiny
Enthusiast - Level 1

Add me to the list of people. If Verizon doesn't change it's ways, I'm going to be forced to find another carrier.

Giving Verizon the benefit of the doubt that they want so much control over software releases is so that they can provide better support doesn't do this issue enough justice. If they don't want to support customers on a nexus phone, that's fine, but you're cutting off your gadget crowd, the people willing to buy extra phones, I've got 13 months left on my current contract with a great phone and I'm willing to drop 350 right now to get a Nexus 5. Guess who wouldn't have to support my DNA for quite some time...

wjg
Enthusiast - Level 3

"Pichai also made it a point to mention that Google was "working with [Verizon] on a set of projects for 2014."

So, they took option 1. Very disappointed with both of them. Mainly VZW.

Crooke356
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've already ordered my Nexus.. Sundar said Google is going to be doing something with VZW in 2014. Lol I can see VZW purposely delaying a nexus release to allow all their recently released droid branded devices (complete with VZW boat) a chance to sell and allow time for all their no contract, unlimited users to jump ship. Then they release/allow the nexus 5. Sprint is supported. when I bought mine, there was no choice on which version you could buy so all the needed radios are present in one device. There was an FCC filling that listed VZW bands that was chalked up to an error at the FCC. I wonder at the possibility of dormant VZW radios that could be activated with a software update. I wouldn't put it past VZW to hold of and release this phone when it would suit them best. Just theory.

marcodif
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here's the problem with Verizon not selling the Nexus 5 when the other 3 major carriers are selling it.  There is a similarity between iPhone and the Nexus 5.  The OS of each are controlled by the OS manufacturers, and updates come direct from them, not from Verizon.  For Verizon to allow the iPhone on their network and not the Nexus 5 is essentially Verizon playing favorites.  I'm not interested in who says what about something possible in 2014 with Verizon.  Google wont put out another Nexus phone for another year.  Verizon sucks.  I dished out full price for a Samsung Note II that in 6 months lost value of $500.  I can't dish out this kind of cash, then have to wait 6 months for Verizon to upgrade my OS with the latest Android (yes, Samsung is at fault too).  I have unlimited data, but most months I dont even go over 2GB, and when I do, I could've easily used my home wifi.  So that of no consequence to me.  I even have an 18% discount from my employer. Doesn't matter.  I don't like my carrier limiting my device experience by controlling the OS, and what OS, I get.  Goodbye Verizon.  I'm heading to T-Mobile.  As more people get away from Verizon, T-Mobile will grow, and with those new customers will expand their network to meet or exceed Verizon.  I'm letting my dollars help set the future direction of carrier dominance.  See ya!