Re: Nexus 5 likely not coming to Verizon
weasel7945
Enthusiast - Level 1

All I know is if the Nexus 5 does not come to Verizon I will be leaving Verizon to go get the nexus 5.  I am sure AT&T and T Mobil will be carrying it. 

0 Likes
Crooke356
Enthusiast - Level 2

I feel ya. I'm grandfathered in on unlimited data but have several other plans that are on contract (not for much longer though).

Despite having the best coverage with unlimited data, if they don't allow this device on their network, I just don't think I can continue to give them my money. I know that those who really want this phone are a significant minority but c'mon, how hard is to allow one phone, a phone that is the MOST IMPORTANT ANDROID PHONE AVAILABLE, to be purchased from Google play, that doesn't require a contract (if you already have service) and doesn't have VZW's bloat. I just don't see how this can negatively effect VZW so bad that say no to supporting this device. Really, most people on VZW don't really care about the Nexus nor do they know about it. These same people buy their devices at $200 and don't realize how heavily subsidized they are so when they see some phone from Google play for $350, they don't even consider it. The only people on VZW who would buy this phone are the Tech savvy that are more than likely on a plan with an expired contract. This is such a small segment of VZW's customer base.

I just saw 2 reports on VZW's numbers. 1st, the iPhone is outselling Android for the first time. Allowing the Nexus would only help bring back those Android users that went to T-Mobile (who is on fire right now, at least for what they are). Everyone I know comes to me for advice when it comes time to purchase a phone. VZW isn't giving much reason to recommend them. Other than coverage. Their phones are over branded, bloated, plans outrageous, data is a premium... If they would just step up and be the good guy, I would overlook the branding and bloat. Not the others though.

2nd, they gained 1.1(?) million new customers during Q3. Thats pretty good.. It could be better. I understand that VZW is a mega business but Google is THE mega business. Improve that relationship and VZW would be that much better.

I just want the Nexus 5 on VZW. I'll have the Nexus 5 but it looks like it'll be on T-Moble. >>comment removed<<   You may think your doing the best thing for your business but your NOT! The customer is always right.

>> Edited to comply with the <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
punkwhan
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm sure I'll leave Verizon for sure if N5 is not coming to Verizon. What a horrible and greedy monster Verizon is!

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Why?  Because they like to make money... like any other company?  Or maybe because they like to make money... like other people?

0 Likes
wjg
Enthusiast - Level 3

"The only people on VZW who would buy this phone are the Tech savvy that are more than likely on a plan with an expired contract. This is such a small segment of VZW's customer base."

You just explained why this phone won't be coming to VZW. The only people jumping up and down about it are those on grandfathered unlimited. and VZW wants to get rid of them.

VZW also hate the interoperability of this phone.

Crooke356
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lol, what does VZW HAVE to do to get this phone on its network? Nothing. Just say yes. How will it hurt them? You agree that only a few people will want this phone on VZW so even if there is some secret, hidden VZW money sucker within the Nexus 5, it'll hardly effect them. If VZW had to go out of their way to get this phone, then I would COMPLETELY understand why they won't allow it. They will make no money from the device itself. I understand that this is not something any business based on subsidies and contracts would invest in. But they're NOT spending a dime and they'll have the opportunity to keep customers AND their families from leaving for another network that will support it. Again, not a huge number but they must be concerned about every penny because they apparently believe that allowing it will somehow cost them.

I don't think VZW will carry. I hope, but most certainly don't expect it. I just don't see how it could effect their business so negatively that they wouldn't allow the flagship of the company that develops the OS of nearly half of their mobile device sales, to run on their network.

0 Likes
Crooke356
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can't for the life of me, remember what I could have possibly written that would merit censorship. Lol. Wow.

0 Likes
wjg
Enthusiast - Level 3

It allows them to retain customers, sure. But those will mainly be the

month-to-month grandfathered unlimited customers that verizon has

explicitly said it is trying to convert, or boot. Supporting the N5 would

undermine that initiative. I hate it as much as you, but I can see why

verizon would choose not to support the n5. What gets me is why lg/google

didn't put in verizon frequencies anyway.

0 Likes
wjg
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can think of only two reasons:

1) There were some closed door negotiations between verizon/lg/google about not supporting verizon frequencies on N5, in exchange for support of future LG/google devices.

2) A verizon-only N5 device is in the works, and hasn't hit FCC yet.

I'm hoping for 2). Evidence in favor of this is the LG G2 device, on which the N5 is based, took a little longer to come to Verizon. But I wouldn't put it past Verizon to be doing 1).

0 Likes
Crooke356
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not trying to just keep this going on and on so sorry but I have unlimited, my family doesn't. They are on contact. VZW losses me, they lose my family. 5 devices/lines. Either way, yes it's not much. Yea, they gotta get that contact but why can't they be the nice guy and let that tiny bit have what they want.

I've heard it both ways. Had VZW frequencies, didn't have frequencies. Not just LTE but CDMA and that's why evleaks originally said it wasn't the Nexus 5 but the VZW LG G2. I think most are chalking that up to some filling error but again, I can't help but hold out a tiny bit of hope.... I sure wish I could make VZW hear me. And others like me. It would be great to hear some explanation that didn't have to do with money.... and such a small amount of it too.