Nexus 5 and Nexus 7
marcodif
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dear Verizon,

I have been patient, through all that providers like yourself have to go through to get Android updates from Google to device manufacturers, to you, and finally to us.  I got excited with the news of the Nexus 5 phone (& Nexus 7 tablet) because like many Android users, I don't want bloatware and I want my OS to update when Google has it ready to update, not 6 months later.  I just read today about how Verizon refused to sell the LTE versions of the Nexus 7 tablet after Google announced it would be available for sale through Verizon.  I also read today that Verizon is the only major carrier NOT to carry the Nexus 5 phone.  I am wondering if Verizon is secretly trying to give Apple a boost by not carrying the Nexus devices.  You see the Nexus devices are the Google version of the Apple format:  a phone or tablet that comes with the OS as is from the manufacturer without any extra apps installed by the device manufacturer or the wireless provider.  To choose Apple over Google for these types of straight-to-the-consumer devices will cost you a loss of subscribers, namely me.  Even though I still have 8 months left on contract, with unlimited data, and I bought my Galaxy Note II at full price thru Verizon (of which is has now dropped $500 in value), AND I get an 18% discount thru my employer, I am ready to drop Verizon.  Yes, I have been a customer since it was Alltel, all thru the buyout and transition.  I used to tell everyone that Verizon is best.  But a carrier that limits my choices to buy by favoring the competition in the same category of device (yes, I know you carry many Android devices), is no longer one that I can give my money too.  I am heading over to T-Mobile, permanently.  I don't care if they don't have coverage in less populated areas.  I care that a phone I pay hundreds of dollars for, is kept "new" and "current" with OS upgrades, without delay.  I sincerely hope that there are considerable numbers of Android users who are ready to jump ship because of your poor decisions on the Nexus 5 and 7.  That's the only way you will listen to your customers, when it hits your pocket.

Labels (1)