Re: Nexus 1 sold by VZW or Google?
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

The thing about the family plan is a T-Mobile problem.  There is some issue with T-Mobile where you can't get a subsidy, or a data plan, or a smartphone, or something on a family plan and I forget what it is but basically something that is required for the Nexus 1 isn't available through their plan so too bad T-mo users.  it should be fine for us. 

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

sranger wrote:

I am in the same boat.   I currently have a company phone and our corporate contract in up in April and they decided to give us and allowance instead of a phone. As a result I have to get a new phone and plan.  However, from what I can see, Verizon seems to drag the introduction of new new phones out for a very long time.  It seems like Sprint and T-Mobile get the new phone series a few months ahead on Veizon.  I would think that they would want the new phones avaliable as quiclky as possible, but based on reading these boards that does not seem to happen.

I am going to hold out for a phone with :

* No flip/slide out keyboard ( I know I would break it )

* Must have at lease a 1Ghz processor.

*At lease a 800x400 ( Or Close resolution )

* Play MP3

* Surf the web with real flash support ( prefer 10.1 )

* GPS Navigation

* Android 0S 2.1 ( or higher )

* USB conectivity to PC.

So far, only the Google N1 meets this requirments, but the Coverage with T-Moble is horrable....

I may have to get a simple pre-paid phone from StraightTalk for a couple of months, ( Heck it is so cheap, I might just stay with them ) but it will be annoying having to move my Mobile number twice.  I would prefer to do it only once, but it look like this is going to be a long wait....

So basically the only thing you don't like about the Droid is you think you will break the metal keyboard, and the 550mHz processor is just too slow.  The rest of these are all features the Droid has except for real Flash support which will come to the Droid at the same time it does for the N1.  Adobe says Android isn't ready for Flash but will be in Q2 of this year.  Whatever that means.  So no the N1 won't have flash and neither with the Droid until Adobe feels like giving it to us.  Don't hold your breath they have been saying it is just a few more months out for about 2 years now. 

0 Likes
sranger

I agree the Flash 10.1 may be a few months away, but at least it has been shown by Adobe on the N1 and the Motorola Droid.  That tells me it is finally going to happen....

The main thing I do not like about the Motorola Droid is the "bulkyness" for lack of a better word.  I do not like it's sqared off sides and prefer the rounded styling of the HTC phones.  I am sure that I would break the keyboard.  I typically do not like any small device that slides apart like the Droid does.  I find that the latches, hinge, ribbon cables, etc... will fail over time.  But mainly I do not want the bulk of a keyboard that I really don't want since I rarely send text messages.

Also form experiance testing 10.1 Flash beta on various CPU's, I doubt that any phone with less than a 1ghz processor will work well with Flash 10.1 when It finally comes out.

The Motorola Droid is a good phone, it is just not for me..

0 Likes
stormi214

Will there be a mandatory data plan on this phone.  I have heard that there might not be but I have a hard time believing that.  I don't have a smart phone yet but want to get one but the data plan is what is stopping me.  I just got an iPod touch to surf the web but haven't opened it yet because I am so indecisive.  Of course, it would be easier if I could have a phone and web surfer in one but these data plans are a killer!

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

stormi214 wrote:

Will there be a mandatory data plan on this phone.  I have heard that there might not be but I have a hard time believing that.  I don't have a smart phone yet but want to get one but the data plan is what is stopping me.  I just got an iPod touch to surf the web but haven't opened it yet because I am so indecisive.  Of course, it would be easier if I could have a phone and web surfer in one but these data plans are a killer!

Verizon will NOT sell you a smartphone without a data plan to back it up. I bought my third Eris from someone who got a free one and then realized she couldn't afford the data plan, so had to ditch the smartphone in favor of a dumb one. Sorry, but it's pay-to-play all the way. Besides, you can't surf the web without it.
0 Likes