New phone replaced with a refurbished phone
jean504

My defective droid, purchased in January, was replaced by a refurbished phone.  Customer Support refuses to replace my phone with a new one.  They told me if I wanted a new phone that I would be charged.  Has anyone had the same experience?  Is there a legal recourse?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: New phone replaced with a refurbished phone
rcschnoor
Legend

Legal recourse for what? Following the manufacturer's warranty as written in the user's manual for your phone?

If you return the phone to a Verizon store within 14 days after purchase for a defect, you should be able to receive a new device. After this point, the manufacturer's warranty kicks in. Verizon facilitates this for you by supplying a refurbished phone, but you are well within your rights to return the phone to the manufacturer for warranty work.

You take your chances on whether or not you will receive a "new" phone from the manufacturer, though. No guarantee you will not receive a refurbished phone from them, either. And you will also be without a phone while Motorola decides what to do. With Verizon, you don't have to return your defective unit until you receive the replacement.

0 Likes
jean504

Thanks to everyone that took the time to answer.  I guess I am going to have to face the fact that I have a refurbished phone and learn to deal with it.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

After a couple of days no won't know the difference. I've had several CPO phones and have never had any more problems with them than I've had with a new phone.

demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

My last phone I had to replace a couple times for various reasons (I don't think it was ever because it was a refurb, the replacements each lasted at least as long as the original) and each time I never would have known it wasn't a new phone.  It actually looked kinda funny putting my old, beat up back cover on what looked like a brand new phone.

pamelanne01
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon Wireless....BUYER BEWARE!!!!  I got a new Samsung 3 - I paid $199 for it and signed a new 2 year contract. Some minor issues from the get go but nothing big until now......I've only had it for apx 4 months....It started blacking out on me.... reverting back to manufacture settings....google calendar was not working properly. I took it to the verizon store - was there for 1.5 hours while a manager and then a tech looked it over. Neither could figure out why/what was wrong. They did a few things told me to come back if it still happened. Than it happened even more and programs crashed. I went back to the store - they said they'd send me a new phone.....They did indeed a "LIKE NEW - REFURBISHED" phone. I even have the month to month insurance. We spoke with 2 people at verizon and they refused to give me a new phone. So I'm stuck with a refurbished phone - out $199 - and they got me for another 2 year contract. I was NEVER told that a replacement was going to be a refurbished one. Not Good Business.....Seriously thinking about taking my business elsewhere....Been a long time customer and get treated like this. Sooooo Wrong! Shame on Verizon Wireless!

Not applicable

Read your contract.  You were told and you agreed.

0 Likes
WEEZ1967
Enthusiast - Level 2

yep! Got a bad Google pixel 3XL, 16 days past the new one I had to return it and they sent me a refurbished phone and still want to charge me 950 bucks for a brand new one! Bunch of garbage! Contacting the better business bureau