New: LG Spectrum and Ice Cream Sandwich
leejay99
Enthusiast - Level 3

We'll see how long we can keep this one open.  I know that one of the big reasons I got the Spectrum was for ICS. 

Is there anyone else out there getting an error message when checking for software updates?  It didn't start until yesterday. 

I wish there was some way to push this and have someone listen and take it seriously.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
New: LG Spectrum and Ice Cream Sandwich
leejay99
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wish I knew. Looks like we have come to the end of quality corporate customer service.  They can troll the message boards but can't give us any quality customer service.

0 Likes
Re: New: LG Spectrum and Ice Cream Sandwich
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is more likely that a user reported it to the moderators. Since the switch to the Jive platform, any posts that get reported are removed from the community until the moderators can review them and make a decision. This has been my experience with this community.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have either of you actually read the Terms of Service? The users self-police the posts. The Moderators enforce the Terms of Service.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

I think that some arbitrary criteria is being used to silence posters. If I were to report you for abuse Ann, would your posts be deleted? Probably not.

We need to do a bit better here.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

FWIW: the old thread is located here:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/779559?start=0&tstart=0

For anyone that didn't see these (and most of us did when researching the phone):

1). http://www.lgnewsroom.com/ces2012/view.php?product_code=93&product_type=93&post_index=1800

2). Specifically visit the link of (1) and press the PDF icon in the upper right of that document. Note both corporate logos and representatives.

3). http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/01/pr2012-01-06d.html

Note the URL there on that one.

4). Then there was this:

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/03/bl2012-03-06.html

Note that in the case of 1, 2, and 3, there wasn't use of "Upgradeable" language, and note the specific time frame.

In the case of 4, dated in March, anyone who had seen 1, 2, or 3 would have been given additional reason to expect an upgrade that would occur per the schedule. Note, VZW has not been updating anyone until right before the OTA push happens, which is akin to not supplying update information at all.

On another forum, followers were shown information that suggests an update was made available by LG in July, and information was also provided about the number of revs that had been placed on a special server used by LG and VZW for holding release candidates...

At about that time, LG's own support website for the Spectrum had an ICS-version of the manual available for download. This was quickly removed from their site, but several people downloaded it with success.

On a different forum, followers were shown information suggesting that in fact the an ICS release candidate for the LG Spectrum was put under "lab testing" and has passed VZW certification.

Demmo86rt: did you ever search for the server location where the candidates are stored? Are you aware that the ICS release candidate is available? Do you know why VZW has not released the advertised upgrade with an OTA push? I know you are adamant that there would be no reason for VZW to withhold an upgrade for the LG Spectrum if it were available, and yet, that appears to be the situation as of October 5, 2012, several months after the end of the 2nd quarter...

For any posters, please keep posts constructive and polite. We don't need to be disrespectful. All we are after is the upgrade that was advertised to be available sometime in the 2nd quarter, and barring that, appropriate consideration.

For those that wish to pursue an action with the BBB, the links to the contract with VZW and also the BBB should be available in the thread referenced previously that was locked. There is also information that people may Google regarding filing complaints with the Federal Trade Commission which are easy enough to find.

Advertising product key features (and then not delivering them) that influence purchasing decisions when alternates are available, both in terms of service and devices, is deceptive, fraudulent, and illegal in the US.

tntodd
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am still waiting for this update. I bought the phone because I was under the impression that ICS would be released in the first half of the year. ICS was what I was wanting but, at the time I bought this phone Samsung Nexus was the only thing that had it, and it was 300 dollars. So I guess the end price and the fact that they (Verizon and LG) were saying the update was coming I thought I would go for it. The phone I had was so old it didn't even have a 3G connection to give you an idea how long I had waited. Well here we are and no ICS, the funny thing to me is the phone online manual was changed to reflect ICS. I even remember seeing a story somewhere on the web where Verizon was releasing names of phones that going to get the update and the Spectrum was on the list. Come on Verizon give me the update or give me a new "different" phone.   

stef7
Master - Level 2

tntodd, your memory about the list of phones is correct:

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/03/bl2012-03-06.html

Notice the date. Notice how that list and the update information was never "Updated". Notice how many (or few) of the devices on this list have actually gotten updated.

It's not a good business for a company to issue press releases and official new stories with content to boost sales and to fail to meet those commitments.

Verizon needs to focus on making good on these committments before introducing more devices. They need to prioritize existing devices and valued customers.

Wait - I should stop making sense, making sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE1Ro_wPGIU

0 Likes
LompocDad
Enthusiast - Level 2

I bought my spectrum back in Feb I think in all hopes of getting ICS. Salesman in store totally sold me on it even though I wanted another phone.  I (like you) have waited patiently and I realize no one is talking about the Spectrum at all. That device has left the sales and marketing office and is now just a folder in some computer as a name in inventory.  With the spectrum 2 on path, we have two choices left. Wait forever for an upgrade thats really not even worth it as much as it is Jelly bean. My buddy first manually put the ICS rom on and yea it was cool, the whole face recognition thing and the other few perks. But recently, I was checking out Jelly Bean on a few different devices and I tell you what, JB is the way to go. Performance wise, its kick butt fast and super smooth, huge diff from ICS.  So although I support your guys effort 100% to get what we were all most sold on, I would not stress over the phones inability without ICS. Go root it your self or save 1,2,3,4 paychecks worth of savings from each and buy the phone you truly want. One that has everything. In a few checks flat, you'll forget all about this mess the sales and marketing people created on false promises and be happy you bought something you really wanted all without their consensus. Imagine if everyone just bought the phone they wanted outright, phone companies would have no leverage in sales anymore. Problem is most people dont have the $500+ to buy a new phone right then and there so this subsidized contract crap is NOT your friend and thus you get stuck in situations like this where you cant do anything.  Never buy a subsidized phone ever again, just buy what you want and no more phone problems.  If you havent already, go on google and look at phones sold by carriers in other parts of the world that use CDMA phones.  They have some sic phones you wont see here. Go treat yourself to a long term relationship Smiley HappyBy the way Stef7, been following you for a long time on these threads, your persistence on this is awesome lol. 

0 Likes
Pree

I've been getting the same message! Do you think that maybe they will be releasing the ICS update?

0 Likes