New KitKat battery issues
BobK406
Enthusiast - Level 3

Upgraded to the new KitKat 4 days ago.  Ever since the new update, my battery has been draining quicker than before the update.  When looking at what is using the battery, every day it is something different.  One day, google play services, the next was the phone, the next day was media.  None of those apps were even used those days, so there is no reason for them to be using battery.  This new update is terrible!!!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New KitKat battery issues
billhong
Enthusiast - Level 3

Battery drain after the Kitkat update has been a problem for some folks across a range of devices. 

I'm a Moto X user, and this has been discussed at length in forums for that phone, though I have not seen it myself.  Android OS  seems to be one source of activity often cited as using battery power.  I don't know how well any of these would translate to your case with the S4 because of the different UIs, but some questions might be useful to know:

1) do you routinely have weak mobile signal and/or wifi?  This is a big source of battery usage, and kitkat may be more sensitive to it.

2) are all location reporting services on, all the time?  Have you analyzed how often your phone 'wakes up,' or syncs data?  Does it happen even overnight when it is not being used (if still powered on)?    Anything (apps, services) that tends to wake your phone even when not in use will drain.  You may have to force stop/deactivate apps one at a time to see if that makes a difference, or use a battery monitoring/analysis app to help with determining the culprits.

3) Do you charge while powered on or off?  Unlike the battery pull method, some folks have noticed that powering down the phone, charging it, then disconnecting before rebooting has made a difference.  Something about a bad kernel in the charging software within kitkat causing the issue is what I recall.

In any case, you aren't alone, and lots of folks are hoping the next update to kitkat will address this problem.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

For which phone model?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
cgage823
Contributor - Level 1

Of you haven't already done so, try doing a soft reset. IE; pulling battery out for about a minute.  I know a few people who have done this, and it seemed to help.

0 Likes
BobK406
Enthusiast - Level 3

Its the samsung galaxy s4.

0 Likes
BobK406
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have tried taking out the battery and restarting, but it didnt seem to help.  Thanks though

0 Likes
billhong
Enthusiast - Level 3

Battery drain after the Kitkat update has been a problem for some folks across a range of devices. 

I'm a Moto X user, and this has been discussed at length in forums for that phone, though I have not seen it myself.  Android OS  seems to be one source of activity often cited as using battery power.  I don't know how well any of these would translate to your case with the S4 because of the different UIs, but some questions might be useful to know:

1) do you routinely have weak mobile signal and/or wifi?  This is a big source of battery usage, and kitkat may be more sensitive to it.

2) are all location reporting services on, all the time?  Have you analyzed how often your phone 'wakes up,' or syncs data?  Does it happen even overnight when it is not being used (if still powered on)?    Anything (apps, services) that tends to wake your phone even when not in use will drain.  You may have to force stop/deactivate apps one at a time to see if that makes a difference, or use a battery monitoring/analysis app to help with determining the culprits.

3) Do you charge while powered on or off?  Unlike the battery pull method, some folks have noticed that powering down the phone, charging it, then disconnecting before rebooting has made a difference.  Something about a bad kernel in the charging software within kitkat causing the issue is what I recall.

In any case, you aren't alone, and lots of folks are hoping the next update to kitkat will address this problem.

0 Likes
JohnKelly
Enthusiast - Level 2

Happened me too with a Galaxy S4 (8 months old). Even bought a new battery. When the screen was on it drained at 1% per minute. Charging was painfully slow too.

VZ sent me to Sansung, Samsung remote support in Colorado spent 2 hours tinkering remotely and in the the end did  a factory reset. Tech said he was pretty sure it was Kit Kat related.

Fingers crossed- otherwise I see VZ hetting me a working S4.

miked333

I'm having the same issue with my Droid DNA. Ever since the latest kitkat update my battery life has been much worse. I can't even make it through a workday when I used to go about a day and a half.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello miked333. Your Droid DNA should experience very similar battery life as compared to how it was before. We're here to help get back to how it should be! There are a few options to review to see what the cause may be. I recommend testing Safe Mode first, to see if it may be app related. Here are the steps: http://vz.to/1mfgYWo

Before performing the Safe Mode steps, please make sure you go to Settings>Power> and make sure Fast Boot is disabled. If this service is on, it will keep you from starting Safe Mode.

Let us know if you see a difference with Safe Mode enabled.

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
cgage823
Contributor - Level 1

I noticed after the note 3 update battery drained as if I had everything running. Did a factory reset and all seems better.