Re: New HTC One
Asmodian
Enthusiast - Level 3

It is even worse than that as the up & down channels are swapped compared to AT&T so they really cannot work with each other's phones.  Verizon also "cleverly" uses CDMA authentication to get around the open spectrum requirement from when they first bought the 700MHz "C" block.  Verizon can only blame themselves for needing a special model of any LTE phone.

I am quite pissed about the mess that the US carriers (mostly Verizon) have made of the frequency space, what is the FCC doing?  I would boycott Verizon if everyone else wasn't trying to be as anti-competitive or just has terrible LTE coverage in my area.

I think Verizon is trying to use its current market dominance to do anti-competitive business practices in the spirit of Microsoft from the late 90s and 2000's.  I hope and expect this will translate to the same hatred Microsoft enjoys over the long term.  Just be a decent company and you won't need generate artificial reasons I cannot change providers.

I would really like an HTC One developers edition but I also require LTE and I don't think it is going to happen with Verizon.

0 Likes
generaldreedle
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is the quote from the HTC One unlocked order site.

We’ve been full of HTC One news today and wanted to bring you at least one more before the day comes to a close. HTC updated their Shop page on the HTC website to include several models of the HTC One available for pre-order in the US and we found one that hasn’t really seen much attention on the Internet.

How do readers feel about an unlocked HTC One with 32GB of internal storage? The portion of this model that is unlocked is the SIM which makes it different than the Developer Edition, because the DE also comes with an unlocked bootloader right out of the box. With an unlocked SIM customers can use this phone across multiple carriers. If your carrier operates on the following bands you are eligible to buy and use this unlocked version of the HTC One.

• HSPA/WCDMA: 850/1900/2100 MHz
  • GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
  • LTE: 700/850/AWS/1900 MHz (US)

Does that mean we can use it on Verizon?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

generaldreedle wrote:

Here is the quote from the HTC One unlocked order site.

We’ve been full of HTC One news today and wanted to bring you at least one more before the day comes to a close. HTC updated their Shop page on the HTC website to include several models of the HTC One available for pre-order in the US and we found one that hasn’t really seen much attention on the Internet.

How do readers feel about an unlocked HTC One with 32GB of internal storage? The portion of this model that is unlocked is the SIM which makes it different than the Developer Edition, because the DE also comes with an unlocked bootloader right out of the box. With an unlocked SIM customers can use this phone across multiple carriers. If your carrier operates on the following bands you are eligible to buy and use this unlocked version of the HTC One.

• HSPA/WCDMA: 850/1900/2100 MHz
  • GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
  • LTE: 700/850/AWS/1900 MHz (US)

Does that mean we can use it on Verizon?

That's a GSM network only phone. It would work on AT&T or T-Mobile for example. AT&T also has their LTE on a portion of 700 MHz frequency.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Asmodian
Enthusiast - Level 3

When discussing a rule to force all LTE: 700Mhz devices to be able to work on all bands,

In filings to the FCC, companies including Verizon, AT&T, Qualcomm (NASDAQ:QCOM), Motorola (NYSE:MOT) and LG argue

"The decision to identify band class 17 (AT&T) separately from band class 12 (Verizon is 13) was based entirely on a desire to avoid harmful interference that would negatively affect the operation of 700 MHz mobile broadband devices, not on any anticompetitive or discriminatory agenda," Motorola wrote to the FCC in response to the alliance's filings. "By demanding that devices be capable of communicating with all 700 MHz mobile bands, the alliance's approach would require the use of wider duplex filters, which would exacerbate interference problems, or additional duplex filters. Current filter technologies are not sufficiently refined to be both wide enough to cover the entire 700 MHz band and selective enough to avoid interference from (and to) the other high-power services in the 700 MHz band."

source

Oddly I also understand the band Verizon uses (13) to have swapped the relationship between the uplink and downlink portions, the uplink is 31Mhz above the downlink on Verizon and 30 below the downlink on AT&T.  I believe this requires something different in the duplex filter as well.

source

"If you don’t believe me that the implications of this are tremendous, just look at Apple’s new 4G iPad. The CDMA version is designed to work on a single 700 MHz network: Verizon’s. The GSM version is designed to work on a single 700 MHz network: AT&T’s."

source

This all gets quite complicated and tricky, both might have good reasons to want to work on one band but it makes a forced "big two" market place.  I am not sure the improved network quality is worth it.

UgXvibe
Contributor - Level 1
0 Likes
nneptune
Contributor - Level 2

I just read that about the announcement..I hope it's about the ONE!

Anyone else have trouble getting on here all week?? It was driving me nuts.

..and here's another clue for you all... check out what Amazon is selling:

http://www.amazon.com/Stand-Leather-Cover-Verizon-HTC6445LVW/dp/B00C4UO44C/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=13...

..and there are a couple of different types that say they're exclusively for Verizon...

0 Likes
UgXvibe
Contributor - Level 1

Do you have the 'Exclusively for Verizon' links? Makes me feel better.. lol

0 Likes
mk7se
Contributor - Level 2

I'm not waiting til May 22. I've been waiting since February, then March, now it's April.

I'm not gonna wait for an announcement that nobody knows what it's for.

If it is for the ONE, it won't be released for weeks and weeks after the announcement, so were looking at July.

MODERATORS, tell your Verizon big-wigs I'm pulling my 25 unit business account after THIS weekend.

THAT'S MY BIG ANNOUNCEMENT.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

mk7se wrote:

~snip~

MODERATORS, tell your Verizon big-wigs I'm pulling my 25 unit business account after THIS weekend.

THAT'S MY BIG ANNOUNCEMENT.

Thanks for telling us customers on this PEER to PEER community forum.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Soupy127
Enthusiast - Level 3

Finally able to log in again on this site.

I can only say something cynical at this point, since getting off chat with a Verizon sales rep yesterday.  I asked about the availability of the HTC ONE and she went on to tell me how superior the DNA was to the ONE cause the DNA had a quad processor, 16GB, and "removable memory".  She did correct that once I asked her when the DNA had been upgraded with a card slot and how 16/11GB of free storage was equivalent to 32 or 64GB.

I then went to AT&T and held/tried the ONE and it truly is awesome.  Why are we being deprived of these new phones ... when I see the May 22nd announcement coming I think we are setting ourselves up for more disappointment.  I don't think the announcement will actually benefit us, but be about contracts and how we will pay more for "disabled modded" phones and services but "it's for our own good".

Like many customers, I was complacent until I needed a new phone and over the past year there has been nothing exciting.  Now that most of the other carriers are offering the latest and greatest, we are left with ?

0 Likes