New Android 6.0 Marshmallow
Nanna20
Enthusiast - Level 1

Has anyone heard when Verizon Wireless will release the new platform.  Read in a review article that it has been released but it is based upon the carrier service.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: New Android 6.0 Marshmallow
Hotshoe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Don't hold your breath. Most carriers are kicking Verizon on 5.1.1 and no update in sight for us. At&T already has 5.1.1 out to their Note 4 and now the S5, meanwhile, Verizon makes us wait. Thus why I'm leaving. Bragging as much as they do, you would expect them to lead the way. Obviously not.

0 Likes
T-J-
Enthusiast - Level 3

https://www.androidpit.com/android-m-phone-update-news

It tells you what phones will get 6.0 or google which phones are getting marshmallow

The older your phone, the less likely it will receive the 6.0 upgrade or the longer it will take to receive it.  So most should expect sometime in 2016.  Verizon is very annoying with doing updates with manufactures and meeting their standards and thats why it takes so long.  Its best if you can root your phone and unlock the bootloader or other work arounds that you can be on the latest software. Another thing Verizon is against and tries to get manufactures to lock you out of the bootloader and rooting.  They pretty much say its for "security" but in actuality its they don't want you to keep using your end of life phone longer and want you to get into new contracts and buy new phones.  Though I feel most people who are usually enthusiasts with rooting and such are always wanting to get the latest and greatest phones as well

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Hotshoe,

We would be heartbroken if you decided to leave. We know software updates enhance the device, and can certainly understand your eagerness. VZW works hard to ensure that you have the best device experience. My apologies, we currently have no info on the 5.1.1 update for your device. We offer a specific device update page that you can check periodically for the latest software info http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/software-updates/ .

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
radar320
Contributor - Level 2

So I read today that Samsung is already pushing out Android version 6.0.1 for the Galaxy S6 models and here we still sit on 5.1.1 with security updates that are 2 months behind.  Thanks for nothing Verizon.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The 6.0.1 update is rolling out as a "beta" for Factory Unlocked devices by Samsung. The carrier specific images are slated to start rolling out towards the end of the quarter.

To get OTA updates directly from the OEM, you'd need to buy Factory Unlocked models. Good luck getting some of those activated on Verizon, though. Unless it's a Nexus or an iPhone.

0 Likes