Need help with Backup Assistant issues, promo discrepancy and droid vs IPhone
queendivacdm

Hi:  Would really appreciate all the help you can give me re: getting my Backup Assistant from my old broken phone to my Droid Iris which was buy upgrade 1, get 1 free when my old phones screen went totally black and all my contacts are inaccessible.  Customer svc. told me to join My Verizon and I'd be able to see everything online, print, manage accounts, etc. once they sent the instructions via email.  Well, I didn't receive them and I desperately need some of those telephone numbers.  Can someone advise me how to access them on the PC so I can print them out?  Despite the new phone being free, I feel gypped because of the promotion had no fine print or vutures flying overhead on any commercials and I like the phone.  HOWEVER, the promo was buy or upgrade 1 ERIS get 1 free and I was only allowed to get one phone despite the fact that I have another account with a different telephone number..Does this smell like a bait and switch or CLASS ACTION or is it just my imagination?  Also, does call waiting work in the Iris and how?    Finally, brief poll which do you feel is best:  Moto Droid or Apple IPhone?  Help me please.  Thanks so much.  Queendivacdm.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Need help with Backup Assistant issues, promo discrepancy and droid vs IPhone
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

re Backup Assistant. Unless you set it up while your old phone was still active and working you might be out of luck. The process required you to d/l a free application to your phone. You then registered on My Verizon which gave you access to My Contacts where you could manage your data and export it as a CSV file. Did you do all that before your old phone failed?

0 Likes
Re: Need help with Backup Assistant issues, promo discrepancy and droid vs IPhone
queendivacdm

Yes, I did and the phone would back up any telephone numbers automatically at 11:59 pm nightly.  It still charges and will turn on and off, I can access my email, people can leave messages but I cannot make any phone calls on the old phone.  And again, this app was free so if I download it now I am SOOL to speak?  I activated it and some nites I'd see it when it checked for new numbers but I never created a CSV file?  What do you think?  Thanks for helping.

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

queendivacdm wrote:

Yes, I did and the phone would back up any telephone numbers automatically at 11:59 pm nightly.  It still charges and will turn on and off, I can access my email, people can leave messages but I cannot make any phone calls on the old phone.  And again, this app was free so if I download it now I am SOOL to speak?  I activated it and some nites I'd see it when it checked for new numbers but I never created a CSV file?  What do you think?  Thanks for helping.

Well that's a really good thing that you did that before the phone died, as you can probably salvage your contacts now. It doesn't create the CSV file for you, you log onto the website, go into backup assistant and tell it to create the CSV file. You can then download the CSV file to your PC and import it into either Outlook or Gmail, then sync up the new phone and it will transfer the contacts. As for the lawsuit, I'm afraid you're outta luck there, as all the Verizon literature definitely states that a new 2-yr activation is required for the free phone. If that was a deal-breaker for you, you woulda/coulda/shoulda cancelled the transaction. And you don't need to scroll down this page very far to find a handful of debates about Droid vs Iphone. I wouldn't sweat it anyway if I was you...you already got the sweetest phone of the bunch. :smileywink:
0 Likes
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

If regular backups were made then you just need to go to My Verizon. On the overview page there is a list of Quick Links on the right side. Click Manage My Contacts. Once your contacts display, look for a link labeled Export to CSV (should be under the Search Contacts button). Click it and your contacts will be exported to a file with .csv as the extension. You can open it with Excel and clean it up if desired. Just be sure to resave in CSV format.

If you have not done so already, set up a Gmail account @ gmail.com. If you already have one, log into your Gmail account on the web, go to Contacts and click the Import link. Then set up your Gmail account on your Eris (Menu->Settings->Accounts & sync). Once your phone syncs up, the contacts should appear on your new phone.

0 Likes