Re: NO Samsung Galaxy S2 from Verizon? Disappointing to say the least.
Chowderman
Enthusiast - Level 2

From the articles I have read I believe it was meant to be 4G, but again, its just talk.

As for what it can or can't do. I will start with, just the general style of the hardware alone is something the other phones don't have. From what I have read of the Nexus Prime it is to have nearly identical hardware ( I also read it would be made by Samsung as well.)

Droid HD isn't 4G which I think is what most of us are looking for.

The Bionic could be the answer as well as this Stratosphere some of us have heard about, but again we dont know much and we don't know what we don't know. All I am asking is for some kind of information of what one could expect for a future device.

You make a good point though Geri O.

0 Likes
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3

I wouldn't worry about them not carrying the SGS II.....they already said they will carry a Samsung Phone that is "similiar" in specs...everyone is quick to think that these "specs" won't match up to the SGS II...this doesn't mean that it will have worse specs, it could have even better specs than the SGS II! It could be the Samsung Celox...which is a variant of the SGS II. Or...it could be that Verizon will be an exclusive carrier of the Samsung Nexus Prime, which has been rumored to be floating around the Verizon HQ's. How ever it works out, they will have a phone that is similar to the SGS II and I'm sure everyone will be happy. We will find out soon enough.

0 Likes
LightningLdr180

DC5_K20Z1 wrote:

I wouldn't worry about them not carrying the SGS II.....they already said they will carry a Samsung Phone that is "similiar" in specs...everyone is quick to think that these "specs" won't match up to the SGS II...this doesn't mean that it will have worse specs, it could have even better specs than the SGS II! It could be the Samsung Celox...which is a variant of the SGS II. Or...it could be that Verizon will be an exclusive carrier of the Samsung Nexus Prime, which has been rumored to be floating around the Verizon HQ's. How ever it works out, they will have a phone that is similar to the SGS II and I'm sure everyone will be happy. We will find out soon enough.

This is all well and good, but can we have some information please?  Some of us have been holding on months for the SGSII and to hear them just say, "nope not gonna carry it" is just very frustrating.  While service is a big factor, phone hardware does matter to quite a lot of people.  Even if they are going to have a newer / better phone, some people are tired of waiting.  Yes, there will ALWAYS be a new and better phone coming.  However, you set your sights on one and wait for it.  At least give me actual confirmed details so that I have some concrete to wait for.  Otherwise you're going to loose some customers.  (Although do they really care?  They have more than enough.)

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Chowderman wrote:
"Anyway, I was hoping someone with some pertinent information, i.e. Verizon employee, rep, etc wwould be willing to share with us on what we can expect for the future. As many have read the Charge is clearly substandard and not a choice to replace what the SGS2 could have been. Upcoming Bionic is a possibility, but with the limited data provided there isn't much discern from."

They won't. This community is a peer to peer forum. Even if the employees on here did know anything (they often don't and find out when we do), they are bound by the company's confidenal information policies. In other words, they couldn't tell you even if they wanted to.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Chowderman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ann154 wrote:
They won't. This community is a peer to peer forum. Even if the employees on here did know anything (they often don't and find out when we do), they are bound by the company's confidenal information policies. In other words, they couldn't tell you even if they wanted to.

I totally understand that, and I was expecting that anyway, but still. Taking a shot and trying my luck, seeing what I could fish up. I am sure someone somewhere knows something, It would just be nice if they want to share some of it.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

TCStehle wrote:

I'm free to go now!!  

Verizon has been the only carrier we've used and I'm 45 years old so needless to say we've pumped thousands of dollars into Big Red over the years.  I'd say easily 5 figures over the past however many years. 

But, after the Fascinate debacle which still isn't fixed and we're still struggling with 3 of them in our house and now the announcement the SGS2 is not coming to Verizon, I think it's safe to say it's time for this family to explore other options!!

The impending release of SGS2 was really the only thing keeping us on Verizon.  Now with the announcment that the largest carrier in the US is not going to offer a version of the best selling smartphone in the World it's time to get the SGS2 on another carrier when our current contract expires. 

i guess i'm confused. you had a fascinate "debacle" and are "still struggling with 3 of them" so you want the next generation of them or you'll switch carriers? i guess it's just me, but i'd switch phones/manufacturers? to each his own, but if the first gen was junk to you, why do you want it again? and actually, apple and nokia outsold samsung last quarter....so i'm not sure where "best selling in the world" came from???

0 Likes
dinogami

I totally understand that, and I was expecting that anyway, but still. Taking a shot and trying my luck, seeing what I could fish up. I am sure someone somewhere knows something, It would just be nice if they want to share some of it.

Yes, that, I think, is everyone's basic premise: the complete and utter lack of communication from Verizon to its customers.  I find it unfathomable that Verizon was unaware of how widely and deeply anticipated the Galaxy S2 was among its customers...but the only other explanation is that they willfully chose to be uncommunicative.  Now they release one little tidbit: "You ain't gettin' it from us!" with no explanation as to why or, even better, what's coming down the pipeline that we should all look forward to even more and when we can expect to get it.

I most certainly understand that Verizon wants to build suspense by not giving away spoilers, but utter silence is, ultimately, worse for their business.  I also understand that, at any point in time, Verizon may not be able to provide release dates on new products because they can't control manufacturing and many other things that can delay a release--that's also fine.  But they can still say what is to come!  Even if it doesn't have a name, even if they don't say who's making it, why on Earth can't they say to all of us that have been anxiously awaiting the S2 "Hey, don't worry that we won't offer it: we're going to offer you a phone that has all the same capabilities as the S2 but is faster/has more memory/is thinner/is 4G/etc., so please just hang with us a little bit longer!"   Very simple statements like that to its customers have huge impacts on loyalty and customer satisfaction with the brand.  I fail to understand why they will not do those things when they are most obviously in their own self-interest!

I am aware that Verizon employees can't post on the forum, but if any are reading this, please tell your bosses how the customers are feeling, and urge them to tell their bosses, and their boss' bosses, and on up the line until Verizon gets the bloody message...!!!

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

typically carriers will announce new devices that they ARE getting, just before they launch. did you all expect them to release a statmenet about a device they aren't getting? i don't recall any press releases to the affect of "and we will not be carrying the nexus line" or (prior to this year) "we won't have the iphone" etc etc. did they ever say they were getting this mysterious, unnamed phone? i honestly had no idea that people thought there was a new galaxyS phone coming to verizon. granted, i suspect there may be threads in the galaxy or charge forums (that i should probably check out once in a while), but until i heard the news blurp this morning, i didn't even realize this was a big deal.....if it is. for all we know, they may get phone that is nearly identical to a fascinate2 or galaxyS2 or what ever it would be called, but droid branded? and if it's not LTE then it seems a bit pointless to me anyhow.

0 Likes
99ipas

I was very surprised that Verizon would not carry this phone given the great reviews and how quickly it's sold overseas.  With all the other carriers jumping on the bandwagon it sure looks to me like this is something the market wants.   It's not for Verizon to decide what phones we get, the market dictates that.  Don't tell us you have enough Android models already, let the customer decide!  Based on the posts in this thread, you have a lot of unhappy customers right now.

Verizon, you had better have a darn good explanation!  If not, I may just have to go to an AT&T store to see one, and if I like it better than what you are offering, well you get the drift.

0 Likes
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3

I agree with ya, it sure would be nice to have some more insight as to why they are not carrying such a popular and powerful phone. They either got an ace up their sleeve or maybe Samsung and Verizon are having discreet affairs with others? Who knows...that fire may have burnt out? Maybe if they both just whisper sweet nothings into one anothers ears again....they will shed some light on this further and provide a reasonable resolution so we can all sleep better at night and not be put on such an emotional roller coaster!

0 Likes