Re: NEXUS 5 or else
scorch968
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just wanted to let it be known that I have acquired my Nexus 5 and said goodbye to Verizon wireless. I paid the ETF(s) and took my service to AT&T. At this point this is a carrier that has refused to seek out open devices even though they are on a 700 Mhz Block C network that we would all assume foster that option. They have dragged their feet activating Nexus 7's, another example of their unwillingness to cooperate.

"Licensees offering service on spectrum subject to this section shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee's C Block network..."

I realize there is no incentive financially for Verizon to do this. I think that working with the wireless industry to support open devices everywhere is an ideal that will prevail if we make it so. The benefits are a consumer win, we can take a phone that is supported by multiple carriers and be free to choose who to give our business to. The Nexus 5 is one of the few devices that come close to supporting all US carriers and also being a more open device. 

I can understand technical limitations, however a Nexus 5 on Verizon Wireless was/is possible. The phone is essentially a LG G2 internally and does have CDMA support for Sprint. It couldn't be much harder to build a Nexus 5 with Verizon Wireless support.

For though who are curious, you can sign up with AT&T and bring lines in from different regional area codes. I was also able to get service without a contract. AT&T LTE service, while not as pervasive, is quite good in the Richmond, VA area and surrounding counties. I can also say I had good LTE service in the Charlotte, NC and Winston Salem, NC areas. My plan was a GoPhone $60 plan with unlimited voice/text and 2 GB of data. You can buy an addition GB of data for $10.

I can say that I do prefer Verizon Wireless service and haven't had any issues with them from a customer support perspective. I have to stick with my convictions here. If you are going to say you are an open network, be an open network. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2277399,00.asp

0 Likes
hsilverm

i am currently using Verizon and very loyal to Google phones. I had a Nexus one with T-Mobile, then a Galaxy-Nexus with Verizon. I wan not happy with the phone's ability to switch from WiFi to phone signal.

I want the Nexus 5, in fact I ordered one, 

In case the LTE does not work I am  also investigating alternative carriers. Does anyone recommend T-Mobile? Years ago, the coverage in the suburban Philadelphia area was spotty, but thing may have changed.   Does anyone have experience with carriers in the Philadelphia area?

Today, I read some articles saying that the N5 will work on the Verizon network using LTE. Has anyone actually tried thi in the Philadelphia area? I read that Verizon uses two LTE bands 13, and 4 and that the Nexus 5 does work using Band 4 LTE. I have no idea which band is being used locally, and went to the Verizon store, but they simply siad the N5 will not work on their network. Has anyone actually tried this?

Thanks

0 Likes
hsilverm

I just purchased a Nexus 5 through google, it will take several weeks to arrive. Verizon is my current carrier an I have a Galaxy-Nexus. I am a loyal Google customer, starting with the Nexus one.

I read that although Verizon does not support the Nexus 5 it is possible to use it on Verizon LTE network if using band 4. Apparently Verizon uses LTE band 13, and band 4 in different markets. Does anyone know which band is being used in the Philadelphia market?  I went to the Verizon store and they did not know.

Has anyone in Philadelphia tried to use a Nexus 5 via Verizon? If so, does it work at all?

I anticipate that I will need to switch carriers, and lost about $150 to get out of my Verizon contract. I really don't want to, but if Verizon does not support this does anyone know whether T-Mobile or AT&T is a better choice in the Philadelphia metropolitan area?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It won't work. Find another carrier if you want the Nexus 5.

0 Likes
scorch968
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Nexus 5 will not work with Verizon as it does not support the CDMA bands that Verizon uses. CDMA is currently required to activate phones on their network as they do not currently use LTE for voice. When you make a call on VZW, phones drop down to CDMA for voice. This is similar to AT&T dropping down to HSPA when making calls. Hopefully we will see some VoLTE implementation in 2014 for US carriers.

0 Likes
surge914

I would also like the join in the hate that Verizon doesn't support the Nexus 5. I was really looking forward to the phone because it's a good phone and most importantly because it would let me switch phones without having to give up my unlimited data. Kind of getting fed up with verizon trying to squeeze every penny out of us. Although I'm not in need of a phone right now so I won't switch yet, if for whatever reason they decide to get rid of our unlimited data then I would definitely switch. I see no reason why a smaller company like sprint can afford to keep its unlimited and Verizon can't.

0 Likes
NexusMan21
Contributor - Level 2

I think it says a lot about Sprint that they have unlimited data and are cheaper, way cheaper for a single line - and they still don't have the number of users of AT&T or Verizon. The Sprint network is terrible. Hopefully after the LTE rollout, it gets better - its been a joke for so long though.

Tidbits
Legend

They don't have an expansive network to maintain. They also don't have the customer base like Verizon does so less saturation. They have also consistently lost customers this year. They were also sold to Softbank this year.

Their network capacity isn't that large and from what I have read from Sprint forums they don't offer more than 3mbps is majority of the US.

T-Mobile is on the same boat. They almost sold to AT&T, and Sprint tried to buy them to increase their network capacity and size for a steal of a price. They took a different approach and drop subsidization and upgrades yet offer unlimited data(Doesn't Verizon do this now? Aside from still offering unlimited data to new customers).

This doesn't include MAJORITY of the world doesn't offer unlimited data on their 4G networks and rarely on their 3G networks long before US carriers started dropping theirs.

Unlimited data will come back but it won't be anytime soon. VoLTE+ has to happen, and carriers have to drop their legacy networks to even have a chance.

ronicc91

Ok idk if this will help or if this has been previously posted but here is the up to date knowledge i have on this situation. As we all know the phone is more than capable of working on verizon with the internal specs it came with. I have spoken to reps and have gotten a general consensus that people may be able to go to stores and have the phones manually activated, it may or may not work as there is still no set protocol(of course because this phone is not officially supported) THAT being said, i was told that things are currently being worked out, and should see some sort of statement/solution(hopefully) from verizon soon. This probably has something to do with what google has said that they are planning something with verizon(another speculation but has to be some form of a nexus 5 compromise(where the phone gets its updates handled through google, but will have the software verizon puts on it) again speculation). In any case one thing i do know for sure and has been re iterated many times is that once verizon abandons cdma and goes VoLTE, there is really no way to keep phones of all types from being activated on their network

0 Likes
NexusMan21
Contributor - Level 2

You can't make a call with the Nexus 5 on Verizon! The CDMA radios are incapatible with the Verizon network. Look at post 54 in this thread. The phone is not made for the Verizon network.

The fact that people are buying the Nexus 5 and trying to rig it to work on Verizon is comical at best.

0 Likes