Re: NEXUS 5 or else
Mnehme1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Been using my GNex for the past 2 years.

Already looking at my options. Knowing how shitty Verizon is, I don't expect the Nexus 5 to be available for the loyal Android users. Its almost amazing how Verizon was all about Android and Google when the iPhone wasn't around but the minute the iPhone GRACES VZW's lineup they immediately turn their backs on the millions of people that stuck with them and basically made the company skyrocket past AT&T.

Keep worrying about your bottom line Verizon, you're going to lose 9 lines on my end the day the Nexus 5 launches.

TexDan
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am looking into doing that as well. Even IF the Nexus 5 came to Verizon I'm pretty sure it will be loaded with...you guessed it...more crap we don't use that takes up space. I love my Note 2 but hate the Samsung bloat. Obviously a lot of people are tired of it all!  All there is to do now is wait until the reviews come out!

0 Likes
BSME_SWeedon
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am going to either leave to get the NEXUS 5 or a Moto X via Moto maker. I am thinking about leaving no matter what because what is the point of have a nexus phone if Verizon won't update the software in a timely fashion?

rivec33

No. I've never had a problem with the service Verizon has provided. I get better service than any other Sprint, T-Mobile and even AT&T owners that I know in my area, I don't live in the country, I live in a metropolitan area where I know all services get good coverage. I get service in buildings that are dead zones for the other three carriers. Within a few months there will be a new phone with better specs and will become the new craze, that's just how technology is. So I don't see whats the point of leaving to get a phone that will be outdone soon after its release.  Bloatware is annoying yes, but you can hide it. Does take up alot of memory but that is remedied with phones equipped with expandable storage and wireless storage. And I don't really care about updates. I stopped updating my phone after my phone was pretty much useless after updating from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich. It was fixed for the most part after the Jellybean update but the best experiance I had was with gingerbread. (I know people complain about slow Verizon updates, but to go from gingerbread, to ICS, to jellybean within a matter of 2 years kind of makes me wonder how many updates you really need) Just think the version the phone comes with is the best to keep.

0 Likes
ALKahn10
Enthusiast - Level 2

You not updating your phone says a lot about the type of customer you are. Some of us appreciate security vulnerabilities to be patched.

0 Likes
ALKahn10
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also I forgot to mention, Rivc55, hiding still takes up space on something I purchased and own. Yes I'm a month to month customer so I truly own my phone, no lousy subsidies.

0 Likes
rivec33

"Bloatware is annoying yes, but you can hide it. Does take up alot of memory but that is remedied with phones equipped with expandable storage and wireless storage." Reading is fundamental.

What kind of customer am I? You seem to know alot about what I am... why dont you tell me? Verizon has the biggest network and the most customers. I doubt the people leaving to get a Nexus 5 will make a dent in their profits or change how they operate. You wanting to leave Verizon for a phone (which previous versions havent been all that great) is your perogative and I respect that decision. I was just answering your question "who feels like I do?'

0 Likes
ALKahn10
Enthusiast - Level 2

Fair enough but I also think you should reconsider you opinion about updates, they bring many benefits such as improved security. Also to say the previous versions were not that great is somewhat surprising considering the demand for them.

Also, manufacturers have been trending away from not allowing expandable storage (moto x, DROID mini, ultra and Maxx to name just a few) so I must disagree with you on the expandable storage point. The industry wants to be cloud based and limiting memory on the device encourages this.

Also, yes, your lack of care for updates is quite telling of the type of customer you are. It says you just want your phone to work out of the box and might be inclined to ignore future benefits that could be added. You also mentioned the move from gingerbread to ICS, that was already quite some time ago and the hardware of the era wasn't what it is today. Android has improved quite a lot since then. It's not an insult, you just don't sound like a geek and that's the type of user the Nexus is geared towards. Don't be sore in the rear, it's OK, I just would like to see a phone that is on the bleeding edge. I value security updates and I value constant feature improvement. Verizon probably should too, the network is wonderful, however the phones they offer are the worst.

0 Likes
ALKahn10
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am willing to agree, i just want a pure AOSP style device.  We aren't allowed to talk about the bootloader in detail in these forums but for legitimate development.  I can't go any farther without voiding house rules so... there's that.

0 Likes
rdhqcpro
Enthusiast - Level 3

Like all corporations, Verizon is faced with the challenge of providing a service to as large a demographic as possible in order to maximize earnings and I believe they have been successful in that endeavor. 

Let's face it.  Universities are NOT first and foremost concerned about teaching a person to think and gather knowledge.  Instead their emphasis is on the bottom line and indoctrination.  Microsoft has recently proved that they are NOT interested in selling the public what they want but what they believe they should have and are desperately attempting to convince the public that it is good.  This is NOT how marketing and capitalism worked in the past.  There used to be a genuine drive and desire to discover what the public wants and then meet that demand.  Likewise, Verizon is NOT concerned with those of us who yearn for the most technologically advanced and up to date phones.  They are absolutely focused on their bread and butter average user clients who want gimmicks and flashy features as well those whose phone is not much more to them than maybe a run of the mill frying pan is to most of us.  Their client base are those who simply want to be able to turn on their phone simply and easily and then reliably make a phone call and send or receive a few texts.  This is not a judgment but simply recognizing the fact tat everybody is different and has different likes, desires and interests.  The facts do, however, speak for themselves.  We phone enthusiasts are not important to Verizon.

Given that Verizon has worked hard to create arguably the best wireless network in the country, it is a shame that they choose to ignore the phone enthusiast portion of their clientele, but that is their prerogative.  It may simply be time for those of us who want or demand more from our phones and expect the right to do whatever we want with OUR phones to exercise our economic right to spend our money elsewhere BUT to choose wisely before making the jump.

0 Likes