NEXUS 5 or else
ALKahn10
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am planning on leaving Verizon Wireless if we, the customers, do not see an available Nexus 5 that is "approved"/"compatible" with Verizon's network.  I cannot possibly be the only Verizon subscriber who is upset by the rumors.  I started this thread to get a sense of how many of us would leave Verizon should a Nexus 5 not be released for Verizon.

My requests:

-No 3rd party Bloatware

-Distribution through Google Play (play.google.com)

-Unlocked bootloader (I am not encouraging people to perform functions that void warranties)

-Timely updates (the GSM Nexus gets them, why didn't the Galaxy Nexus of old?)

If Verizon fails to meet these requests then I am tempted to jump ship to a more innovative carrier.  Curious, who feels like I do?

Labels (1)
Re: NEXUS 5 or else
MrBriano
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tempted? If Verizon fails to carry the Nexus 5, I'm absolutely moving my whole family plan to a new carrier.

Shuino

I'm with the both of you as well. I've had this Galaxy Nexus for far to long and I will for certain have a Nexus 5. Either it be on Verizon of not I do not really care at this point.

0 Likes
ksoraci
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'll be leaving as well. Funny how Verizon only cares about iphones now, even when it was us Android people that stuck with Verizon when iphones were exclusively ATT.

Esteban4u
Enthusiast - Level 2

The majority of Verizon's Android Enthusiast customers including those who still have the Galaxy Nexus like myself WILL be leaving their service if they don't carry the Google Nexus 5. This will happen because the growing consensus among Android enthusiasts is that they are tired of Verizon's death grip-like control (locked bootloaders, bloatware and delayed/non-existant Android OS updates) of their Android devices. If they don't believe this, they should take a look at their own community forums and those of the most popular Android tech blogs on the internet (simply do a Google search with the terms "leaving verizon" "nexus 5" and you'll see what I mean). For many of them, the detriment of loosing grandfathered unlimited data, like myself, will no longer compel them to stay on Verizon's service. Simply carrying the Google Nexus 5 won't be enough though. Unlike the Galaxy Nexus, It has to be UNTOUCHED by their usual Android device business practices, the way Google meant it to be. This post shouldn't come as a threat, but more of a heads-up, in case they haven't been paying attention/listening to what your customers want.

0 Likes
MrBriano
Enthusiast - Level 2

All good points, although if they offer a "pure" Nexus device, I won't care if the bootloader is locked or not.

Additionally, I have a feeling Verizon will pull the unlimited data rug out from under us at some point. (Just a feeling, not based on any facts or rumors)

I've started pricing alternative carriers, and I'm ready to move my family (we're all due for "upgrades" but Verizon doesn't carry a compelling device).

Esteban4u
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree that the days of grandfathered unlimited data are numbered. That should make jumping ship off of Verizon that much easier though. What they don't realize is that we, savvy Android enthusiasts, not only make or influence the cell phone purchasing decisions in most of our households, but the we also influence those purchasing decisions of our less-than technology savvy family, friends and even coworkers. Verizon won't take the discontent of our tech-savvy vocal minority seriously until it hurts their bottom line. So if we really want to affect change for the better within Verizon, we'll have to take as much business away from them as possible. Tell all your Android addict family, friends and coworkers. More and more people need to be educated on what the Nexus program is and how it benefits the security and longevity (in terms of OS updates) of their cell phone's usefulness.

MrBriano
Enthusiast - Level 2

Another excellent point. Now that I think of it, a lot of people at work come to me for tech advice. If they aren't dead set on an iPhone, I steer them toward the Nexus program and nothing else.

rdhqcpro
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am in agreement with you all on this. 

Unfortunately I recently finished moving my family from Sprint for obvious reasons and the move, due to activation costs,  definitely comes at a price.  I'd love to say that I'm moving my family off of Verizon now but I'll need to wait until each of the 3 contracts expire.

When I came on with Verizon 11 months ago I purchased what was basically their premium phone, Razr Maxx HD, only to find shortly thereafter that 1 GB of ram memory just is insufficient for quick and smooth operation along with all the included bloatware.  As I did NOT want to risk losing my warranty on the phone by rooting it I stuck with it until about a month ago when the phone operation just became unbearably slow.  Now I find that although I've successfully rooted, the bootloader is locked and will likely remain so indefinitely.

So I then turned to the hope of purchasing a NEXUS 5 once it was released so that I could make use of the Verizon network with a phone with decent performance with having to take out a mortgage only to find out that the chances of Verizon carrying the phone is next to nil.

If we don't get the option of using a Nexus 5 on Verizon within the next year then I too will likely jump off the Verizon ship once I've fulfilled the 2 year contract agreement.  Those no contract mobile phone agreements are starting to look better all the time.

GreatEnigma
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree 100%.  Verizon treats their customers like shit, has a poor selection of phones, and the phones they do get are crippled by their bloatware.  The only thing they have going for them is their coverage.  Luckily I've just moved to a city that is covered by everyone so if Verizon doesn't get the Nexus 5, I'm definitely switching.