NEW Wi-Fi issue - Eris
jayjay1122
Enthusiast - Level 3

Experienced a strange Wi-Fi related issue this weekend:

Unlike the previous issue reported this past week by another user, I am actually able to establish a Wi-Fi connection to my router with the Eris. However, the connection times out very quickly!

Furthermore, it appears that unless the SSID is being broadcast, you cannot connect to a known wireless router statically like most other wi-fi enabled devices but this is hardly that important!

Summary:

- Enable Wi-Fi

- Phone obtains IP Address

- Open browser and begin surfing

- Router shows the Eris's MAC ID as connected and active

- Within 30 seconds I am no longer on the web

- Eris's MAC ID now missing from the routers address table

- Eris maintains IP Address however until I sever the connection manually even though it is no longer in the Router table

***Why do I think it is the phone??

I have verified that it is NOT the router losing connectivity to the web.

I have verified that all other Wi-Fi devices maintain connectivity and do not timeout as the Eris does.

Anyone else experience similar connectivity issues with wi-fi on the Eris?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: NEW Wi-Fi issue - Eris
AFguy
Contributor - Level 2

I had a similar problem.  It appeared that my device would not stay connected when I used WPA or WPA2 as the security encryption.  When I changed the router to WEP encryption, then I was able to remain connected.  Hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

View solution in original post

0 Likes
AFguy
Contributor - Level 2

I had a similar problem.  It appeared that my device would not stay connected when I used WPA or WPA2 as the security encryption.  When I changed the router to WEP encryption, then I was able to remain connected.  Hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
jayjay1122
Enthusiast - Level 3

AFguy wrote:

Yeah, I was kinda hoping that wasn't it but tried WEP last night and that did it ! :smileywink:

You would think if our devices had WPA2 implemented they would make sure it worked first!!

Oh well, maybe next OS!

0 Likes
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

Could be a router issue. Have you checked to ensure your router has the latest firmware?  WEP has a lot of flaws and does not provide complete security.

0 Likes
jayjay1122
Enthusiast - Level 3

logicman wrote:

Could be a router issue. Have you checked to ensure your router has the latest firmware?  WEP has a lot of flaws and does not provide complete security.

I did think that at first, but the router is up to date with firmware and the fact that my laptop, printer and Ipod Touch all connect and stay connected wirelessly pointed to the Eris.

As soon as I switched from WPA2 to WEP it stayed connected. Trust me, I switched it right back though, I will not be using WEP just so I can connect my phone. Something else that confirmed my thinking is that you cannot connect the Eris statically to a router unless you broadcast the SSID.

So basically, if I want to connect my phone to Wi-Fi I need to disable two of my security measures (WPA2 and no broadcast of SSID) which I will not do.

3G is fast enough for what I use it for and hopefully these issues will be resolved in the future. I cannot imagine this is not a known bug.

0 Likes
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

Cool. I mentioned it because I encounter a lot of people who think they don't need to worry about wi-fi security.

0 Likes
New Information!! Re: NEW Wi-Fi issue - Eris
jayjay1122
Enthusiast - Level 3

To those of you who have viewed this thread and may have experienced similar issues, I want to share some new information I discovered this morning.

The jist of my issue was that my Eris would not maintain Wifi connection to my Netgear WNR2000 "N" Router with WPA2 or WPA encryption but once I switched to WEP it would stay connected, unlike my laptop, printer or Ipod Touch which would connect and maintain connection with WPA2 encryption enabled.

Being a network engineer, I have access to lots of equipment from different manufacturers so I thought I would try an experiment.

I mirrored my WiFi security settings from my Netgear to a Linksys, a DLink and a Router that my company manufactures, I mean feature for feature, I matched all settings, right down to the MAC address filters!! The Eris connected immediately and stayed connected.

I have had my Eris on WiFi for 5 hours now across various other routers with no connection timeouts whatsoever.

Is it the Router?

Is it the Eris?

Unfortunately, it looks like it is the combination of the Eris and the Netgear as the Eris connects and stays connected to other routers and the Netgear connects computers and printers and Ipods and maintains those connections but not the Eris!

0 Likes