My text messages keep closing out mid-text
Arads

I got my Droid ERIS in January & I love it (except for the battery life).  In the past week or so, when I go to type a new text message, the text message box will suddenly close & I'll need to start again from scratch (the message doesn't save in draft).  It usually works the second time, but this happens for almost every single new text.  I've tried deleting old texts, thinking it might be a memory issue, but I'm not getting any error messages; the text just closes.  It's really frustrating, and seeing that I'll have this phone for almost another 2 years (since I just got it), I don't think I can put up with this problem for that long.  Any suggestions?

I've turned the phone on & off too - doesn't help.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My text messages keep closing out mid-text
tsauter
Contributor - Level 2

Are you using the basic message app? If so, try downloading a sms app and see if the problem persists. I use Handscent sms, its free in the market and way more configurable.

If you still have the error after downloading a replacement  app,  you can try a factory reset, that usually fixes all the minor bugs that pop up. Anyhting saved on the sd card (pictures, music, etc) wiil not be affected in the reset.

0 Likes
Arads

I use the regular text messaging tool that came with the phone.  But this problem is really becoming annoying.  I'm ready to take the phone back but I'd like to first see if it can be resolved.

How do I do a factory reset?  I'll try that if  you can explain what I need to do.

Also, is there a certain number of text messages the phone can hold before problems persist?  My previous phone could barely hold 200 texts; this phone can hold over 2,000 texts.  I'm not sure if I'm having any sort of memory issue, but I'm not getting errors when the text just closes.

0 Likes
tsauter
Contributor - Level 2

Arads wrote:

I use the regular text messaging tool that came with the phone.  But this problem is really becoming annoying.  I'm ready to take the phone back but I'd like to first see if it can be resolved.

How do I do a factory reset?  I'll try that if  you can explain what I need to do.

Also, is there a certain number of text messages the phone can hold before problems persist?  My previous phone could barely hold 200 texts; this phone can hold over 2,000 texts.  I'm not sure if I'm having any sort of memory issue, but I'm not getting errors when the text just closes.

To do a factory reset, open settings-------sd card & phone storage-------factory data reset. Then press the reset button.

Your phone wiil hold as many sms as you have memory. You can tell if you are running out of memry because it wil start running slower and in some cases you will get errors with background services. I generally delete message threads that I don't message frequently. I also do an all treads delete when I get around 500 messages just to keep things running smooth.

0 Likes