Re: My swype keyboard is missing after kitkat upgrade
BIGHEAD2783
0 Likes
kjl123

This is ridiculous to remove the main reason I got this phone instead of an iPhone!.

I downloaded the Google keyboard after suggestions on this forum and found that Google may be reading my texts  so I uninstalled it. Was Google reading them in the previous version that had Swype as part of the android version?

I've dropped gmail because I don't want that. I guess I need to look at the other ones.

0 Likes
BIGHEAD2783

Twas one of the many reasons. But yes, Google was found to have been viewing private emails, messages, and usage through anything they own. They claimed these actions were purely for research. Swype is not owned by Google, so I would have to go with no to them reading your texts... I don't want to get off topic, but 100% privacy is something of a myth.

Good luck, and tell us what you find.

0 Likes
salrmars

There's also an app in the play store called Swype + Dragon Trial.  I don't know if this is just a trial period.  There is now one Swype app that charges $3.99.  Maybe they're charging for it now??

I tried the Google Keyboard that WaterLover84 mentioned, but I don't like how it works.  Very slow in response.  The Swype app actually works better than the old version that was on there.  Much better with the word recognition accuracy.

0 Likes
kfox99
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why should we now have to pay for a feature that was included on our phone previously., and for many of us one of the MAIN reasons for selecting our model of phone.

By the way, tomorrow they're going to start charging you for every character you type on top of your data charges. I guess that will be OK with you, too?

0 Likes
alfornow

Swype website has link to a fix. It involves dragging status bar to an open text box and selecting Skype as input DOn't know why this works, but it worked on my Moto Droid, with "new" kitkat "upgrade".

video is at [VID] How-To Video: Selecting Swype as Active Keyboard : Nuance Mobility

0 Likes
CismIV
Enthusiast - Level 2

I guess the new update took it away! Terrible, I hope Verizon knows how unhappy people are about this!!!! I downloaded the google keyboard from the game store so far it seems to work just fine, Booooo Verizon!

0 Likes
stewsteve
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, but wasn't quite as easy as the last install! Still cannot make voice work!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

This wasn't Verizon's doing.

Swype was in beta and had deals with manufacturers to preinstall Swype. The licensing expired once Nuance took Swype out of beta and put it in the play store.

0 Likes
BryanM

Duplicate post - please see:

Re: Where the hell is Swype after kitkat upgrade for razr maxx hd?

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes