My experience with the Kitkat 4.4.2 battery drain on HTC DNA
Johnschiap
Enthusiast - Level 2

I started to notice degraded battery life some time late spring/early summer. I figured it was due to one or more apps I had loaded or some other fault of mine. I didn't connect it at first to the then recent Kitkat update. As I looked online for ways to improve battery life, I found out that many others were having the same problems. I tried using Juice Defender, but there was no noticeable improvement.  Below are two two screen captures from last night. The phone had been off the charger (original) for less than an hour and it already lost more than 20% power. The back of the phone was also noticeably warm. All I was using the phone for was some reading of this forum and not much else - no gaming, no video streaming, no music streaming. The two items that stand out to me are the fact that the Android System is using 83% of the power and the fact that the WiFi shows as on (solid blue line) for the period, yet you can see from the top status bar that the WiFi wasn't on. I had disabled it through the Settings menu. It's gotten so bad that always carry an external battery to top up the phone when it dips too low and I am not in the car or at home. My questions, then, are 1) should the Android System usage be so high when the phone isn't being used heavily? 2) why does the WiFi show as being on when I disabled it? And, finally, 3) is Verizon or Google ever going to substantively address the large numbers of complaints about the Kitkat update?

image.jpgimage.jpg

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My experience with the Kitkat 4.4.2 battery drain on HTC DNA
UhOh

google, verizon, and samsung will not address any problems with kitkat because all 3 of them are clueless jackasses.

they can't write good software

they force updates that can't be undone

they ignore all issues and claim it is the users fault

they don't believe anyone's time is worth anything because they leave it up to us to try and solve the problems they created

0 Likes
Scoobyshack
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am so sick and tired of the "let's get to the bottom of this" VZ Customer  Service responses.  The "bottom of this" is the lousy Kitkat "upgrade" you force fed us.  When are you going to issue a fix, Verizon?

0 Likes
Johnschiap
Enthusiast - Level 2

Bump. 340+ views and no one from VZW chimes in even though they were invited to in another thread. Today my phone lost 70% (>90% to <20%) power over the course of about three hours sitting in my pocket. Temperature spiked, too. Attached screen shot from GSam Battery Monitor tells the story. Second screen shot shows absurdly high usage by Google Play Services at the time. Any takers as to what is going on?image.jpgimage.jpg

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Your Wi-Fi is on standby and it could pulling as well as your Network, you might give this a try if your Data is Faster with Wi-Fi shut your Network Data Completely off and pull only from the Wi-Fi while your home then when you leave your home return it back to the Network and if your phone has the Global and or  LTE / CDMA select feature  switch it to LTE / CDMA  see how the phone does in this setting,  it might work a little better..

0 Likes