My Samsung S5 update to Lollipop is more like Lollipoop. How can I switch back to previous version?
TimboSlice2

My battery life is now terrible. My camera stopped working. My Lock Screen functionality has been hijacked to only allow a pattern, PIN, or fingerprint to unlock. All this came about when I updated to Lollipop. I really wish I hadn't clicked "OK" when asked to update. Only a few aesthetic changes were nice everything else with the update is absolutely frustrating. How can such huge companies Samsung and Verizon botch something that should have been thoroughly tested. I'm about ready to switch to another carrier just out of spite. And what's even more frustrating...you can't call anyone to ask if there's a quick fix. Ugh! Boneheads! I want to switch back to my original system software version, KitKat is it?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My Samsung S5 update to Lollipop is more like Lollipoop. How can I switch back to previous version?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TimboSlice2,

Oh no, we want you to enjoy the update. While you would not be able to switch back to the previous version, we do have ways to make sure your device is working as it should. How long ago did you update? Do you still experience the same issues when you are in Safe Mode http://vz.to/1xmU2t3 ?

SandyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: My Samsung S5 update to Lollipop is more like Lollipoop. How can I switch back to previous version?
TimboSlice2

I cannot answer your question about safe mode. What I would like is to have the phone working as it did before the update on Feb 18. I've been struggling ever since then with strange setting changes and battery drain. Why would I have to be suffocated by this update that only seems to cause me grief? This in itself is worth questioning and moving away from this brand of phone.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TimboSlice2,

We certainly don't want to see you suffocated by anything! Your phone needs to work great. Updates are made to solve glitches, provide new features and improve your phone! The reason we would want to test in safe mode is that this disables third party apps and add ons to the phone and just has the phone's default programs run. Many times after an update, the makers of third party apps will take some time to update their apps to work with the new version. Until they do that can cause issues. It is similar to a program made for Windows 7 needing to be optimized to work with Windows 8. If it continues to have an issue in safe mode then we'll know something is wrong. If it stops in safe mode we might need to look at removing some apps to see what is causing that. That way we can get your phone back to working great!

AndrewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
TimboSlice2

How do I know I’m in Safe Mode? There’s no easy way to find that setting. Where’s the Safe Mode setting made? Can I just un-install all the 3rd party apps and my phone will run better you know, have longer battery?

A side note: all the pre-loaded junk applications that duplicate functions that are already present really irritate me, also. Why do I need to have a Samsung messaging app along with a Verizon messaging app? This goes for almost everything: maps, photos, even the stupid keyboard is a Samsung brand keyboard. Is there any other type? I have a Google folder of apps that I use just so I can remove some of the unused app space on the screen. I’m sure that I’m not alone.

TK

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Just FDR then.  Faster.

0 Likes
TimboSlice2

I don’t know what that means, FDR faster. Is that some kind of slur?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Factory Data Reset.  Faster than uninstalling or clearing cache for every app.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

An FDR is a Factory Data Reset.  It will not return your phone to the previous Operating System, but it cleans out any leftover code from the OS upgrade.  An FDR can sometimes help with various issues after an OS upgrade.  The downside is that it erases all your data, so you have to back everything up ahead of time and then set your phone back up after.

Yes, there were several changes to how things work with the update to Lollipop.  Some of the things that may be making the battery drain are the Facebook and Facebook messenger apps; if you aren't using them, uninstall them.

As for the preloaded apps that you aren't using ... unfortunately, you can't uninstall them, but you can disable them and then they won't appear in your app drawer, i.e., settings > applications > application manager > scroll over to the All tab at the top of the screen > scroll down to the app that you want to disable > tap it > uncheck Show Notifications (so that you won't get bugged by the Play Store to update it) > tap Force Stop > tap Disable.

One thing you may want to try is a System Cache Clear; it may help some of the issues you're having, doesn't hurt to try, and it shouldn't erase any of your data, i.e.,

Power down phone

Press/hold volume up and home keys, then press/hold power key

When phone vibrates, release power key

When system recovery menu displays, release volume up/home keys

Use volume keys to navigate to wipe cache partition and press power key to select

Once finished, press power key to reboot system

narntek
Contributor - Level 3

This was what fixed my problem going to Kitkat. The partition clearing cache works like a charm