Does it do this on boot or only when you try to run a specific app,
You can try SafeMode:
1. Power the phone off.
2. Once the phone is off and all lights are emitting, press and hold the Power button to turn the S4 back on.
3. When the Galaxy S4 logo appears on the screen, press and hold the Volume Down button.
4. Continue to hold the Volume Down button until the phone completely boots. You will see the words “Safe Mode” appear in the lower left corner of the screen if you performed the steps properly.
Does this work for you. If so it's most likely one of your apps you most recently installed. You can try removing one at a time and seeing if that helps.
IF That didn't help have you tried to Hard Reset the Device yet:
***NOTE THIS WILL RESET EVERYTHING TO FACTORY ALL DATA IS LOST***
1. Power The phone off
2. Once the phone is off and all lights are emitting, press and hold VOLUME UP + Home Button + Power until the phone vibrates
3. Wait until you see the Android logo then release all buttons
4. Select Wipe data/Factory Reset with VOLUME DOWN, press Power (right hand-side)
5. Select Yes --delete all user data with Volume Down and then press Power
6. After format, press Power again to reboot Power. (select reboot system now)
If you still have issues your other options depend on weather it's under warranty or if you purchased any warranty options when you got he phone.
Let us know how this worked out.
I tried the Safe Mode before I posted my problem and it didn't work. I finally did the Hard Reset and so far (fingers crossed) it's been almost 24 hours without a reboot. I noticed the phone getting a little warm, but it's not hot. I have yet to add back any apps - but email, Web, camera, and Netflix are all working great so far. Thanks so much for your help!
I would look into the apps your installing and see if that may be your ultimate culprit. I wish you luck and let us know if this ultimately fixes it....If it's hot/warm while the screen is off for a while you have something running a lot and draining your battery. Under settings you can goto Battery and see what might be causing that as well....
cfrank1982 We don't want you to go to desparate measures! How has the reboot issue been since you did the factory reset? Please keep us posted.
Follow us on Twitter
We're glad the phone is working as it should now, I know how important it is to have a reliable phone. This means it was definitely content related. You can definitely start downloading content to the phone. We suggest it one app at a time and testing it for a few hours, that way you can identify what app causes problems.
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport
It's gone back to turning itself off when I try to do anything. I didn't add any new apps, the battery seems to be staying cool, and it stays charged for a long time. I don't think it's an app problem - I guess I'll be looking at yet another replacement phone.
That's not good, cfrank1982!
Before we resort to replacements, I would like to check your device current software version. Please provide me the current software version number (Baseband version and Build Number) http://vz.to/1n2tVot. Keep me posted. Thanks!
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport