My Droid 4 keeps powering down
JBist2253

I have had smartphones before and none have done this: my new month old droid 4 keeps randomly powering down. i will have a charged battery and sometimes it will even be plugged in but it keeps saying 0% battery left and shuts down. I can turn it back on but it will just shut down again eventually.

Labels (1)
Tags (4)
0 Likes
Re: My Droid 4 keeps powering down
mvrafter

I've had my Droid 4 for four days & it just did this even though it was well over 50% charged. Can't get it to turn on again. Don't know if it's gone for good or what. Hope some Verizon person responds to this.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi mvrafter,

I apologize for the delayed reply and I am hopeful that your issue has been resolved since the original date of your post. If not, I can happily assist you. At your convenience please DM your wireless number. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks for your contribution to our community forums,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
landc

my wife's droid 4 is also doing this for the last 2 days, and I cannot figure out how to fix it. unfortunately we are out of the country right now so I cannot take in to the store to get fixed! she is really dissapointed since we just got this phone, and she was really looking forward to having a smartphone that works well! ( her last phone from another provider was not very good) we have only had the phone for about 2 weeks, and I have done very little to customize the settings on the phone, and we dont have very many apps on it yet. it will boot up, and then it will stay on for just over one minute before it reboots. I am not sure if this has anything to do with it, but for some reason it always shows the phone as being in airplain mode, and I cannot turn airplain mode off.

if anyone can help me out here that would be great! I would love to get it working again for her and not have to wait several weeks until we get back to the states. 

0 Likes
ingrids
Enthusiast - Level 3

Go to Settings, Display and DE-select In-Pocket Detection.

I had periodic (several times a day) shut downs... and based on what I read, it may have resulted from being in a dark room (or my hand was over the light sensor) with the cell phone being at a particular horizontal position... which mimics being in your pocket.

Good luck.

0 Likes
MHSLAthisnameok

Hello, I am having the exact same problem, and the did the pocket setting thing, and it's still doing it. Anyone have advice. VZ customer support can you respond? Also, this seems to be happening more after the Ice Cream Sandwhich update. My phone will go from 100% charged down to 0%/won't turn on in less than 6 hours, since yesterday's update, and this is INFURIATING. this is my work cell phone and I've already lost several thousand dollars in business due to missed calls/voicemails I couldn't get to bc I wasn't in a place with a charger.

The only thing that seems to help is plugging the phone back into a wall charger (not USB connected to a computer). Verizon on the phone couldn't help me bc they couldn't get my phone to turn on, and apparently I have to go to a store, have them mail me a new phone (they won't give me a replacement there). I have a huge work conference in the next few days. I cut my AT&T contract short to join Verizon, and this whole things has been such a mess I am ready to put my fist through a wall.

Has anyone else found recommendations on what to do? I have all the battery life extenders set properly (as far as I can tell) and still no improvement.

Message was edited by: marlo straub

0 Likes
ingrids
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oop... guess what?  I did the pocket thing (as I was the one who posted it) which it no longer powered off unexpectedly... until last night when it powered off and I couldn't get it to come back on. 

Found online to hold the power on key and the volumn down key at the same time for about 10-20 seconds... don't worry, it doesn't wipe your data from the cell. 

But when the power came back on, I noticed I had 40% battery life (so why couldn't I turn it back on?) and then was prompted to do the ice cream sandwich update.  Let's see if I continue to have the powering off thing or if it was a one-off for the ice cream sandwich.

0 Likes
Rasta

Same here.  Phone is 2 days old and it just went from 75& battery to dead as a door stop in an hour!

0 Likes
FASTCompany
Enthusiast - Level 2

Im soo frikkin mad. My 1st Smartphone was the Samsung stratosphere and all within a 9 month period I changed it out three times for non connectivity issues. They let me upgrade to a Droid 4 and 5 days into it the phone kept power cycling off n on and it wouldnt stop so they changed it out into a refurb or factory certified one. Now only two months later it is heating up really hot and the battery is wasting the battery in less than an hour. I have factory reset it twice and I have allowed the battery to fully die and fully rebuild before trying to see if it fixed itself but it hasnt. Im quite frankly getting sick of going through phones quicker than contracts. I buy all the accessories for my phones so when they go down and I have to get into an-other phone then I am left with so much extra stuff that it is too frustrating to have to keep going through problems with these devices. Verizon had me sign a two year contract for the first phone and then when I upgraded they made me pay for thwe upgrade a new two year contract......That is not fair. All new stuff and accessories to still have problems. Im sick of issues when my bill never is less than 200-250 a month. I need reliability. Now its been a year and Ive been through 4 smartphones on my 5th one. No one will admit to the phones being defective or problematic. And then they make you go through phone after phone atleast three times b4 they will get you into a differant upgrade. I may have to change service providers. I dont know what else to do.

0 Likes
akatoast

I also am about finished with VZW. This is an obvious issue with Droid 4 and the ICS update. I am on my second Droid 4 and the issue is not resolved. After speaking with VZW tech support, they half heartedly admit that it is a software issue but refuse to do anything more than to give me the same phone with the same issue. They suggest that I contact Motorola. Why would I do that? I bought the phone from VZW not Motorola. This is ridiculous, I know they don't care if they lose me as a customer but I promise that I will make it clear to everyone who I know who ever thinks of going with VZW about this. I am just an  ant to them but this ant will bite them back. We are regular folks who just want a working phone but somehow that is just too much for them to understand. I am a great customer for them, I pay the top individual rate and barely use any data but hey why should they care. VZW, what are you going to do about this?

0 Likes