Multiple Texts (160 limit)
Eclyps19

Now I know this isn't an Android specific problem, but I get really frustrated when I need to say more than 160 chars in a text. I'm on a roll with this idea and put in like 180 chars and send it without realizing that the end of my text is being cut off. Is there any work around to this? I can't believe that it doesn't split it into 2 texts at the 160 mark like other cariers. Why does it even say what "page" you're on if it only sends the first 160 regardless of the actual number of characters?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Multiple Texts (160 limit)
cem95z
Contributor - Level 1

this is so frustrating... ATT has no problem splitting it into 2 texts. Verizon... you get a message saying you didn't send your full message. Verizon really should change this on ALL of their phones.

0 Likes
Jagger-VzW
Contributor - Level 2

Sounds like either you or the person you are sending the text message to does not have ehanced texting, which would allow them/you to send/recevie up to 1000 characters at a time. Try sending to another VZW subscriber and see if it sends more.. If it does then you know it is to whom you are sending and not you, if it does not work then call VZW CS and change your plan or Text Bundle Plan. 

0 Likes
btriddle

Let me preface this by saying I love the Moto Droid. However, when I had a Samsung Saga, I had no problem sending more than 160 character text messages and they always got through to ATT, T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon Customers. Now that I have the Droid, they only get the first 160 and I get that annoying text message. Not one of them (the people I text) have changed anything about their phones, plans or services, the only change is to my phone. So is this a Droid issue, or a Verizon issue? If it is the Moto Droid then Motorola/Google need to fix it. If it is Verizon, they need to explain why a "smart"phone can, but the Droid can't.

0 Likes
mricet1005
Enthusiast - Level 2

Download the Handcent SMS app. Many more options than the default messaging app.  Has a setting to split messages into 160 character parts. Also supports groups if you have sets of contacts that you regularly send texts too. Many other options. Have been using for a few days and love it.

0 Likes
btriddle
Excellent suggestion. Works great. Thank you.
0 Likes
sfd260
Ok, I am new to the Droid and I downloaded the Handcent SMS which shows the group icon. However, I cannot figure out how to add certain contacts to these groups that I wish to add. Any suggestions or help would be awesome. I need certain group paging for our Fire Dept. and if I can't get this function to work like our old reg. phones, we will have to return it to Verizon. Again, Thanks for any help and/or suggestions.
0 Likes
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

sfd260 wrote:
Ok, I am new to the Droid and I downloaded the Handcent SMS which shows the group icon. However, I cannot figure out how to add certain contacts to these groups that I wish to add. Any suggestions or help would be awesome. I need certain group paging for our Fire Dept. and if I can't get this function to work like our old reg. phones, we will have to return it to Verizon. Again, Thanks for any help and/or suggestions.

The "Groups" are taken directly from you Google contacts.  Log in to your Gmail account on a PC, go to Contacts and set up the groups as you like.  I don't think you can assign groups through the phone, unless you want to log into your Gmail account through the phones browser, that might work.

0 Likes