Re: Moto X and Android 5
deloused
Master - Level 3

Did you miss Ann154's response to your post a week ago? I'll paste it below (and add 2 words in CAPS for clarification) as this was the correct answer to your post question:

The system update for Android 5.1 hasn't been released yet BY VERIZON for the Moto X 2013 model.

I would suggest verifying you have the current version of 4.4.4 that was released 5/28/2015. http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/moto-x-update/

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

[removed]

Motorola writes the code. Yes there is carrier certification and testing. If bugs are found it goes back to Motorola to fix not Verizon Wireless. The AT&T update was entering final testing shortly before the Verizon Wireless version of the update according to the Motorola employee on Google+ Here is an update on the Android 5.1 Lollipop upgrades for Moto X (1st Gen)-…. Unfortunately Motorola discovered a bug in the AT&T update that was found shortly after they started to push the update to those phones. Motorola pulled that update I want to get give an update on the Android Lollipop 5.1 upgrade for Moto X…. Interestingly there hasn't been any more updates since. My guess,  the same issue or another is affecting the Verizon Wireless version of the phone. The testing and certification can take a few weeks and from what I gathered Verizon Wireless does more testing then other carriers. Motorola doesn't have the update ready to be released by anyone.

Content was removed as required by the

Message was edited by Verizon Moderator

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

ieatchickens wrote:

Motorola sent 5.1 to Verizon in late June. We are waiting on Verizon to certify it. The question is: why is Verizon taking so long?

That isn't true.  Don't use low level rep sayings as fact.  Someone on the development team already said that there is back and forth(meaning certain bugs were found Verizon sent it back).  So they are still working on it, and hopefully they have the stagefright exploit fixed in that update.

0 Likes
ieatchickens
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually it is true. My source is a guy named David Schuster, senior products manager for Motorola. That does conflict with what you said though. Verizon could have very well sent it back meaning it's in Motorola's hands now. Motorola is hasn't reported an update for the XT1060 in over a month. My guess is too any bugs along with Stagefright.

0 Likes
ieatchickens
Enthusiast - Level 2

Should say, "doesn't conflict" not does

0 Likes
rjwheele
Enthusiast - Level 1

In an attempt to shed light on this contentious issue:

Here is the text from the Motorola Android update site at:  https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/105221
-------
Moto X (1st Gen.) - Android™ 5.1 Lollipop - Release Notes

Published 04/23/2015 09:21 AM
Updated 06/26/2015 01:47 PM
Moto X (1st Gen.) - Android™ 5.1  Lollipop - Release Notes

INTRODUCTION

We are excited to announce a new software update for Moto X (1st Gen.) by Motorola. This update brings Android™ 5.1  Lollipop to your phone along with other improvements.
( continues) ...
-------
Observations

1) The above update is available from Motorola only for unlocked devices.

2) There is no Internet noise about Lollipop NOT working on the Moto x 2013 devices to which it has been released.

3) There is persistent stonewalling from Verizon -- complete lack of honest status -- about its tailoring for the Verizon-locked version of the device. Instead, we have to come to this public discussion site and argue over the nebulous facts.

4) Sorry, outside this topic but relevant, I think: Android development released a patch for the Stagefright exploit weeks ago. Stagefright is potentially dangerous stuff. Has anyone here received that fix her? The phone companies in general are not bothering to push out critical security patches.

5) Lollipop is available from Verizon for later Moto x devices. Complex Lollipop tailoring of Samsung devices (one such in my household) came out weeks ago.

It is difficult for me to conclude anything other than Verizon is having trouble with its own customization OR just cares more about other segments of its customers base.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Lollipop 5.1 update for the AT&T was pulled after initial release. The other carriers besides T-Mobile in the USA are waiting for the update. Because of the Stagefright bug, I suspect many of these updates were pulled back into the Motorola software lab.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_detail/a_id/94927/p/30,6720,8696

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The AT&T update was pulled because of an issue with the AT&T phone book application.

0 Likes
tysonef163
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nobody [should] cares anymore about AT&T's issues and reasons for halting deployment.  (this keeps getting brought up, on multiple discussions) The question is; where is a VZW statement on the status of this software update?  Why not at least confirm that they're working on "the same bug" that affected AT&T?  And, more to a security concern, how about some mention of the "stagefright" fix?  The latter topic should at least warrant some announcement.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon Wireless isn't going to make a statement until the update is ready for release.

The last update was in https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts/ELem72p52ws