Moto G6 unlocked (from Amazon) and Texting over WiFi
Delta_V

I purchased a Moto G6 from Amazon and activated it on my Verizon account but so far I've been unable to activate wi-fi calling or wi-fi texting.  I found the following support article that leads me to believe the Moto G6 is capable of texting/calling over wi-fi but I'm not finding the "advanced calling" option under the Network and Internet section under Settings.  Does anyone know definitively if the Moto G6 is capable of texting/calling over wi-fi or not?

Here's the article in question:

Turn Wi-Fi Calling On / Off - moto g6 | Verizon Wireless

Labels (1)
Tags (4)
0 Likes
Re: Moto G6 unlocked (from Amazon) and Texting over WiFi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is a great question! We are sorry to learn that you are having a hard time turning on the WiFi Calling option and we want to help in any way we can. O the Moto G6, you can find the WiFi Calling option by going to Settings> Network and Internet> then clicking on Advanced Calling. Can you give that a try please. Thanks. 

Roger_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Delta_V

Thanks for the reply. The problem is that I'm not finding the "Advanced Calling" menu option  under the Network and Internet Section.  It just doesn't exist at all.  I've looked in other areas in Settings and I'm unable to find "Advanced Calling" in those locations as well.

0 Likes
joey2007ua64
Contributor - Level 3

The model Verizon sells has Verizon specific software that supports HD Voice and Wi-Fi calling.  The unlocked model has different software.  The product page on Amazon says that Wi-Fi calling on their model only works on T-Mobile.

tmwifi.png

The URL for the phone on Amazon's website also says "Moto-G6-Unlocked-T-Mobile-Exclusive." So it appears to be an unlocked phone with T-Mobile specific software.

tmspec.png

0 Likes
Delta_V

Ah, that makes sense. So its software issue because the phone from Amazon comes with the T-Mobile software suite.  So is there any way to load the necessary Verizon software on the phone to enable wi-fi calling?  Or would this require a total replacement of the entire OS with Verizon's (assuming that is even possible)?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for that information, Joey2007ua_64 . 

Verizon offers WiFi Calling, but we do not have WiFi Texting.

In order to set up WiFi Calling, you would need to have the Verizon software installed and we are not sure if there is a way to get that on the device that was purchased at Amazon, Delta_V. When a device is not branded with Verizon or purchased directly from Verizon there is the possibility of certain functions of the device not being compatible with our plans and network. 

I hope this provided the clarity you need. 

Tamara_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes