Re: Moto Droid vs. Droid Eris
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

some one had posted an article that explained all of this I guess 6 months ago now.  The question was why is the 600mhz processor so exciting it isn't that much faster.  The place where it isn't much different is between the Droid and the iPhone 3Gs which also supposedly sports a Cortex A8 processor at 600 mhz where the Droid runs at 550mhz.  My question is about these new 1Ghz processors and what architecture they use.  I assume newer = better in the terms of processor but that assumption has been proven incorrect several times.  Anyway just food for thought. 

The screen on the droid is one of the big things for me.  The size isn't enough larger that the buttons would be easier to hit but the better screen and more accurate recognition makes it so that even my sausages can hit the key it wants about 85% of the time.  Frankly only slightly worse than my typing skills on a real keyboard.  I have to say I do like the Sense UI and the price of the Eris better but it wasn't worth it to me to only be able to type in horizontal.  I don't always want to type in horizontal. 

0 Likes
azturbomini

OLD POST I KNOW BUT....

I picked up 3 yes *3* Eris phones today switching my wife and kids from Sprint. (My phone is through a Verizon corporate account). Why the Eris over the Moto you ask???  Well, the Eris phones were free after a $100 each mail in rebate while the Moto's would have cost me $150 each after rebates which would have been a whopping total of $450 out of pocket for me . It was an easy decision for me and my family is very happy with the service already.

0 Likes
Re: Moto Droid vs. Droid Eris: Which One's Better and Why?
hornetjockey

I bought the Droid Eris over the winter because I preferred the smaller form-factor over the Moto Droid, with the understanding that I would receive an update to Android 2.0 or 2.1 in the 1st quarter of 2010. That has not happened and an update doesn't seem to be in sight either. I would get the Moto Droid as the old Android OS is missing some seriously basic functionality due to the older OS, plus I have a friend with the Moto and it definitely is "snapier" in terms of speed and response to touch input.

0 Likes
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

It's not even a matter of HTC Eris vs. MotoDroid anymore. The HTC Incredible is coming April 29th and its basically the Eris with alot better hardware and larger screen, but still reasonable. I guess the only real benefit right now is the fact that the Eris is free after rebates. The Incredible will probably be $199 with a new contract...

Verizon is shelving the Eris sometime in May I believe.

0 Likes
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

kenyu73 wrote:

Verizon is shelving the Eris sometime in May I believe.

This is wht I read today as well, on about 4 different sites. They said that Eris EOL (end of life) would be the end of May. Nice, huh? A whole whopping 7 months of life. I've read about houselfies living longer... (j/k, I was being sarcastic about the houseflies part)

0 Likes
Ludist210

supitsmike wrote:

Factually, the Droid is better, if anything because of the native, clean UI and the fact that it has a better processor. I think the Eris has more RAM, but that's because it needs it to support the sense UI.

You can turn off Sense on the Eris if you know how, but I prefer the look of it to Android's stock UI.  To each their own.

0 Likes