Mobile DDOS Attack? Mobile Virus????!
TaylorCT

This morning when I was browsing the web (webMD of all things) using my Samsung Galaxy Android version 5.0.1, an odd pop-up type window came up and I couldn't go back to the page@ where I had been so I closed the browser, restarted my phone, and tried again. When I went back to my browser (Google), a very weird message came up that said;

"The page at android.lockbooster.com says:

Your generic android 5.0 has been blocked because a DDOS attack occurred from your phone. It is possibly infected with a virus. If the problem is not fixed, the internet connection will be blocked."

I copied the message down and did a google search (on my computer) to try to find help. NOTHING! Surely, I'm not the only one who has had this happen. My husband suggested I run an antivirus program. I ran the Verizon Antivirus software and the AVG one on my phone. They didn't find anything. I'm scared to use my phone. Does anyone out there know anything about this? I certainly don't know enough about computers or phones to attack anyone. I had to look up DDOS because I had no clue what that meant and it didn't sound good!

Help please!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Mobile DDOS Attack? Mobile Virus????!
Snn5
Legend

The easiest thing to do is really to either try a safe boot and if there are issues, its an app causing it.  But, unless you can tell which one, a factory reset is the easiest for peace of mind.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

All my searching came up with an app named LockBooster.  Do you have that app installed at all?

0 Likes
TaylorCT

I just searched scrolled through all of my applications and no, I don't have anything called LockBooster. I hardly have any apps installed on my phone and the ones I have all came from Google Play.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

The easiest thing to do is really to either try a safe boot and if there are issues, its an app causing it.  But, unless you can tell which one, a factory reset is the easiest for peace of mind.

0 Likes
smartyram

I got the same message browsing an advertorial website on my Samsung Galaxy S6. I killed my Chrome browser and launched it again but the website opened again. There is a ridiculous feature that opens all old tabs when you force close or kill the browser. To close the tab I had to click the OK button for the popup to go away. Once I clicked the Ok button the phone started vibrating. After I closed the tab the vibration stopped.

I am a software engineer so looked up a few things to see how much damage has been done, if any. First I was shocked that a website has the ability to access the phone's vibrate function and cause it to vibrate. These features are generally available only to native apps that we download and use.

My research revealed that the latest web standards (HTML5) does allow websites to access the vibrate function. So I believe that there is nothing to be worried about. Then again, I Do NOT use my phone for accessing Bank accounts, Credit card accounts or any other sensitive data.

The above being said I am not a security researcher. So unless my phone does anything weird like sending out automatic Text messages/email, etc I believe we are ok. If you want to be absolutely sure backup photos and video from the phone do a factory reset.

Since there is almost nothing about this on the internet means that this is a new scam.

0 Likes
kbilly
Enthusiast - Level 2

this just happened to me this evening.  i am going to the verizon store tomorrow.  i will repost what they say. i have a samsung galaxy 6.

0 Likes
kbilly
Enthusiast - Level 2

Kathy came across this article. Could be related to your issue http://www.alphr.com/google/google-android/1001671/stagefright-20-discovered-all-android-p    THIS ARTICLE SAYS IT ALL!!

0 Likes
smartyram

The article is not related.

0 Likes
anisoptera

I just got the same message today on my Android Motorola phone: "Your Motorola XT1080 has been blocked because a DDOS attack occurred from your phone. It is possibly infected with a virus. If the problem is not fixed, the internet connection will be blocked."

I just got this phone in July, and I am really fed up with what I think is some sort of virus that has infected it (ads pop up out of nowhere as I'm checking email or whatever - some inappropriate, so I don't want to let my kids play games on it without hovering over them). Now this - apparently my phone is now launching attacks on websites? What am I supposed to do about that?

0 Likes
stanhilliard

I have also experienced the same possible hacking or infection of my Nexus 6. I pointed my Dolphan browser at speakoutnorthstpaul.com, a phpBB forum that I administer. I got advertising popups that I couldn't close down. When I tried, they just popped up again.

The page at "http://google.com-scan.online" says:

"**ATTENTION**

Your Nexus 6 has been blocked because a DDos attack occurred from it.

It is possibly infected with a virus.

Follow the instructions to remove the virus immediately."

I was then offered a link to get an antivirus app from google playstore. I did not select it but rebooted. I pointed Dolphan browser at speakoutnorthstpaul.com again, the phone vibrated, then I  got:

"You have (1) security alert

<snip>

How to fix:

1. Tap the button below to downloas the Applock Pro app

2. Open the app to fix this security issue and protect your device."

The following code was in the address bar:

http://themobpage.com/applock/3/?model=Nexus%206&brand=Google&geo=US&ua=Mozilla%2F5.0%20%28Linux%3B%...

0 Likes