Missing Oreo WIFI options on the LG G6
theycallmemrgibbs

I'm wondering why Verizon removed the WIFI preferences to automatically turn WIFI on and off depending on location. It's part of Oreo and my work Galaxy S7 on Verizon DOES have WIFI preferences.

Why was this removed on the G6 and is Verizon planning to restore it? Between this and Tuner UI, I don't know why the Oreo image needs to be tampered with to the point of removing useful features.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Missing Oreo WIFI options on the LG G6
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand your concern with no longer being able to use feature you've used in the past, theycallmemrgibbs. Although we do push the update when it is ready, the manufacturer is responsible for developing the software update. How was this preference listed on your LG G6 before the update? What are the steps you take to enable this WiFi preference on your Galaxy S7?

On your LG G6, you do have the option to scan for WiFi networks when WiFi is off. To manage this setting, please go to Settings>Location>Select the menu icon in the upper right>Scanning, and from here enable WiFi scanning.

Andrea_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
theycallmemrgibbs

No. It's an Oreo thing that works other Oreo devices but has been removed on the Verizon LG G6.

One of Android Oreo's new features is the ability to automatically turn Wi-Fi back on when you're near a saved network. Essentially, Android will keep track of where each network is located, and will use location services to only turn on Wi-Fi when you're in range.

Other Oreo devices have this option. The Verizon one does not.

The Samsung devices on Verizon DO have the Wifi preferences option but it has been completely removed in the Verizon Oreo image for the G6. If it's available on the other Oreo devices, why was it removed for the Verizon G6?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the additional information, theycallmemrgibbs. When Samsung develops updated software, they also decide which devices have certain capabilities. The LG G6 does not have a setting to turn WiFi on when near a recognized network. You can view more about WiFi here, http://spr.ly/6583DWJjh;

Danielle_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes