Message+ Data charge
kendelrio

To whomever is reading this:

I work offshore, more than 200 miles from the nearest tower as a matter of fact, and use wifi for texting etc while at work.

Last night (11-21-15) my Message+ app apparently updated and now will no longer allow me to text over wifi unless I subscribe to the service (which I imagine carries an additional cost) and I will be charged data usage from my plan to use it?????

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Basically, Verizon, you are charging me to access your app on wifi, then charging me data that YOU ARE NOT CARRYING IN YOUR NETWORK!!!!!! The rig wifi carries the load to shore, then my friends individual carriers carry the data to them. YOU ARE INCURRING NO COST!

This is a stupid money grab.

This is akin to me buying a car in Louisiana then going to Texas and driving on their road, but Louisiana is going to charge me road mileage because my car is registered in Louisiana. I am not using roads in Louisiana, why should I pay use tax?

This is really the last straw for me. I will be coming in from offshore on 11-23-15 and will be seeking another provider.

Hell, even Apple doesn't charge for using iMessage over wifi.

This is stupid, I hate it and I haven't been too pleased with your service and coverage to begin with. I have to hold my tongue in the right way to get signal at my house, data charges are too high and I've dealt with ALL of your stupid technical issues for over a year.

As I stated earlier, this is the last straw. I may not make a huge dent in your profits by leaving, but you won't be getting my business anymore. I will make sure I hit social media to let all my friends know I'm leaving too.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Message+ Data charge
Snn5
Legend

There is no charge to use VM+ via wifi.  But, you must be able to receive a text code from Verizon to activate VM+.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kendelrio, I too would be just as concerned with that type of requirement. Regarding Messages +, Snn5 is right on point.

There was a recent update that added allot of new features, and it is possible that the application just needs to resync with our network to operate with your mobile number, as it used to. The app now allows for not only text messaging via WiFi, but also phone calls as well.

Let us know if all returns to normal once you are back home and your deviceresyncss to the network/number, either by disabling airplane mode and connecting to our cell network, or by the text message method asSnn55 mentioned.

Thank you, kendelrio.

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
kendelrio

Then please explain this section of the TOS:

"Charges. Your download and use of the Service will be billed according to your messaging and data plans. The same rate will be charged per message per recipient regardless of whether you send your message from your mobile phone, tablet, PC, laptop, or other device. Group messages and messages with attachments will be charged at the MMS rate. Data usage charges apply when using preview, location, and search functions, and for the synchronization of messages among your devices. When using the Service outside of the US, Global Data charges will apply when you send and receive MMS messages. Visitwww.vzw.com/global for more information."

I pay for unlimited messaging. How can I be charged data when I am NOT ON VERIZONS data network and if I AM on Verizons network and sending a message, how can I be charged data??? If I'm on network, it should be treated as a text (ergo no data charge), if I'm on a wifi network, I'm not using Verizons data..... so how can I be charged data usage?

Also, how stupid is it to require I get a text to download permission when I am in a WIFI area only? I can't get the text because it won't allow messages through wifi, but I have to be on wifi to get the text..... Nice catch 22 you have there.

0 Likes
kendelrio

So because I am offshore and cannot access your tower, I cannot communicate until I'm back onshore....... So in other words, you removed functionality of an app and it cannot be restored until I'm back within signal of a tower..... In essence, you have bricked my device if I want to use native apps.

Awesome.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

kendelrio wrote:

Then please explain this section of the TOS:

"Charges. Your download and use of the Service will be billed according to your messaging and data plans. The same rate will be charged per message per recipient regardless of whether you send your message from your mobile phone, tablet, PC, laptop, or other device. Group messages and messages with attachments will be charged at the MMS rate. Data usage charges apply when using preview, location, and search functions, and for the synchronization of messages among your devices. When using the Service outside of the US, Global Data charges will apply when you send and receive MMS messages. Visitwww.vzw.com/global for more information."

I pay for unlimited messaging. How can I be charged data when I am NOT ON VERIZONS data network and if I AM on Verizons network and sending a message, how can I be charged data??? If I'm on network, it should be treated as a text (ergo no data charge), if I'm on a wifi network, I'm not using Verizons data..... so how can I be charged data usage?

Also, how stupid is it to require I get a text to download permission when I am in a WIFI area only? I can't get the text because it won't allow messages through wifi, but I have to be on wifi to get the text..... Nice catch 22 you have there.

"....according to your messaging plan."  Meaning:  if you are unlimited in texts, then you have no charge.  There are still plans with limited texting.  This terminology covers multiple plans.  If you were on a limited plan, you would use texting allotment.  But, you aren't on a limited plan, so you would see no allotment use.

The code is for security reasons.  With integrated messaging your other non-phone devices can also read and send messages.  Meaning:  if your phone sends or receives a text, wifi or network, then your other devices, wherever they are, or in whomever hands they are in, can also read and respond.

This is actually an example of Verizon doing the right thing as far as security is concerned.  Your device is not "bricked."

0 Likes