Manual update for Eris available
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

Looks like it's up and available. I'd be interested to see if it works on the leak-updated phones. If you try it, let us know. I'll probably try it tonight when I get home from work.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-droid-eris/12503-how-manually-upgrade-android-2-1-a.html

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Manual update for Eris available
SoCal64
Enthusiast - Level 3

Doesn't  seem to work on the phones that have the 2.1 leaks....I've tried a few times..installation aborted each time. I'm on 2.1v3 non root.  Hope we're not screwed...hopefully the OTA will work.

0 Likes
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

From what I've read about the "official" version, those of us using the 2.1v3 leak are probably better off than the ones getting the OTA. Looks like some of the stuff that works for us isn't in the OTA update. So if it isn't working for the leaked folks, I wouldn't get too downhearted about it.

0 Likes
scajjr2

When you finally get to the link to download the file every browser gives a warning about invalid site certificate and warns not to go to it. Just wanted folks to know.

Sam

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3
Talked to a tech friend of mine at verizon wireless. I asked about them reinstalling 1.5 there and then running the 2.1 upgrade. He said his site at least has not received the files needed. He said to give him a week and he thinks they will have the files so they can teether the phone and run the install that way. I will update once I have been in to do this. I am running 2.1Lk3 as well. I can always reinstall the leak if the official version isn't working liek I want or hopefully I can root he phone. There aren't gonna be any more official updates for this phone as far as I can tell. 2.2 will need better hardware for an official release.(IMO)
0 Likes
Gunslngr21
Enthusiast - Level 3

scajjr2 wrote:

When you finally get to the link to download the file every browser gives a warning about invalid site certificate and warns not to go to it. Just wanted folks to know.

Sam

I noticed this too. I am a little too security conscious to ignore this. Going to wait until google, htc, or verizon come out with the update either OTA or on a site with a good certificate. Unless one of the good folks at verizon can verify that this is the OTA update. That would be awesome. 

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
That should be one of several links to the url that the OTA pulls from. Some of the people on the other forums were able to record what their phone was doing during the update process and pulled it from there. No, it does not work for any of the leaks, yes it is the exact file that comes across during OTA. If you're still on 1.5 and can't wait, go for it, otherwise all it does is give you cuts in line. By the way, leak v3 is the same as OTA, except that it replaces the OS instead of updating it.
0 Likes
DigitalMD

Don't worry, two things have been confirmed.

First the OTA will not work with the leaked ROMs installed.

Second, the OTA is exactly the same as the 2.1 leak v3.

This was confirmed on Android Lib forum by someone that took the time to compare every single file and CRC the binaries.  The only difference was that the leaked ROMs use a different bootloader to install as they did and the actual OS and apps are exactly the same so if you got leak v3 you got the OTA.

The OTA won't install because you are already running it.

0 Likes