MS Exchange & Security
gotdroid

I know that Android 2.0 supports MS Exchange, but according to our IT group, they're not sure if the required security requirements (Exchange) are in included in the OS.  It has to do with "Remote Wipe", Pins, and that it must part of the operating system and not as a user installed application. 

I am not an expert on MS exchange or Android, so can anyone shed any light on this subject?  Is anyone else running into the same problem? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: MS Exchange & Security
Winn

I know that we use remote wipes and pin's with our Exchange BlackBerry servers, but I've never heard that on non BB's.

0 Likes
solar3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Its not that you phone can't receive the Exchange email, it sounds like their policy prohibits devices that don't support remote wiping of the device in the rare instance its lost. I know windows mobile devices have this, and I guess BB's too, although I haven't administered them in years, so I can't remember. I'm new to Android myself, but I believe the device in question has to support antivesync in order for MS exchange remote wipe to work. Blackberries can be wipe because they connect to a BlackBerry server, which enables the wipe. Android OS doesn't support activesync right now from what I understand, which is probobly what they are referring to. They iphone supports some I believe, but I don't know to what extent, so they may not allow iphones for the same reason.

If someone knows more then this, feel free to jump in. I'm IT myself, but i'm not an expert in activesync policies.

0 Likes
dagamer34

I would suggest trying RoadSync. The default Android 2.0 E-mail client didn't seem to work with my Droid, but RoadSync does. It even supports push. For $10, I think it's well worth it.

Though I really do with Google did some more thorough testing, I guess that's what it means to use open source.

0 Likes